Network Registration Guide
Every device that uses Luther's network or internet connection needs to complete a short registration process.
Registration allows access to the LCWireless, LCSecure, and wired networks and is only available to students, faculty, staff, and emeriti. You will usually need register each of your devices once per year for each connection method (i.e. once for LCSecure, once for LCWireless, etc.)
If you only need short term, basic web access, you can connect to the LCGuest Wireless Network, where registration only consists of consent to a terms and conditions. We strongly recommend that students and employees avoid using LCGuest except as a stopgap before seeking assistance from the Technology Help Desk, and that they “forget” the network from their device as soon as possible.
Registering phones, tablets, and computers
- Connect your device to the LCSecure wireless network.
- When prompted, fill in your Norse Key username (with “@luther.edu”) and password. Accept any prompts.
Important: Your connection to LCSecure will break whenever you reset your password. Many devices will ask you for your credentials again, but some will continually attempt the wrong credentials, potentially locking your account. If your device doesn’t prompt you for your new password, “forget” the network from your device and then try to connect again.
LCWireless and wired connections
- Connect to LCWireless or plug in an ethernet cable.
- In a web browser, follow the prompts at network.luther.edu.
- Toggle your devices wifi off and on.
First, attempt to register the device using a method above. If your device can’t register with these steps, create a ticket for the Technology Help Desk with your device’s MAC address—The ticket process will guide you through finding the MAC address. If you can’t find the MAC address, bring the device to the Technology Help Desk.
Androids and other manual configurations
Some devices, especially Android devices, often ask for fields beyond just username and password. Use these values, as needed:
- Security-Type: WPA2-Enterprise
- Security: EAP
- EAP method: PEAP
- Phase 2 authentication: MSCHAPv2
- Server CA certificate: [Do not check]
- Identity: [Enter your Norse Key username (include @luther.edu)]
- Password: [Enter your Norse Key password]
- Anonymous identity: [Leave this field blank]
- Domain: lc.luther.edu
- Can’t connect to LCSecure after password reset. Forget the LCSecure network and enter your new credentials.
- LCSecure doesn’t accept my credentials. Make sure you can type your password at all by testing on a lab computer. If the lab displays the message “Referenced account is locked”, then forget LCSecure from all your devices, wait 30 minutes, and then try again.
- Connected to LCWireless, but my device says it can’t connect to the internet. Your device probably isn’t registered. Complete the LCWireless registration process as described above.
- Finished registration, but no internet. Try rebooting the device.
- “Computer already registered” message. Try rebooting.
- Device fails to recognize any wireless networks. Contact the Technology Help Desk.