Endowment is the foundation on which Luther College sustains a transformative experience for future generations of students, faculty, and staff. Luther’s endowment has grown from $56 million in 2000 to $196 million in 2022. Our goal is to continue growing the endowment—for scholarships, applied learning opportunities, research fellowships, programs, professorships, and chairs—to enhance the resources necessary to support Luther’s mission and vision. Each year a spending allowance is determined by the Luther College Board of Regents. All funds exist in perpetuity.
How are endowment earnings used?
Endowment earnings fund scholarships, internships, teaching and learning resources, library materials, program enrichment, and student/faculty research projects. In short, they enable Luther to enrich the academic program and enhance student experiences.
What does a strong endowment communicate about Luther College?
A strong endowment is a key indicator of the quality and financial strength of the college and is often the gauge for measuring institutional stability.
Your gift to the endowment helps Luther College better position itself for the future by:
- funding scholarships to make it possible for the most deserving students to attend Luther
- enabling the college to attract and retain gifted teachers and strengthen student learning
- increasing opportunities for student research, applied learning, and faculty/student mentoring
- providing for continual improvement and maintenance of campus facilities
- enhancing Luther’s reputation as an innovative, dynamic institution.