Admissions Process for U.S. Students Living Abroad

Each year we are pleased to welcome to campus U.S students who have been living abroad. We value the unique perspectives our "third culture students" bring with them to campus. U.S. students living abroad apply to Luther by submitting the same materials required of all U.S. passport holders. The actual admissions process is a bit different, however; admissions files are reviewed by the International Admissions Committee under the international admissions timeline.

The college accepts promising students without regard to age, color, creed, disability, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal or state law.

To be considered for admission as a U.S. student living abroad, you must complete and submit the following:

  • An application for admission. International applicants must complete the Common Application—including the admissions essay/personal statement.
  • At least one letter of recommendation from a teacher, counselor, or advisor.
  • Original or certified copies of your secondary school transcripts.
  • SAT or ACT test score results.
  • For students applying for admission in fall 2022, standardized test scores will not be required. Learn more about our test-optional policy here. For students who plan to submit a test score, please check to see if your ACT or SAT test scores are included on your transcript. If not, ask your counselor to send us a copy. (Or include Luther on your list of colleges when you take the test.) Luther College also allows students to submit self-reported test scores for admission purposes. You may submit an unofficial copy of your test score, or inform us of your composite ACT or SAT scores with all corresponding subscores and test dates. All students are eligible for academic merit-based scholarships regardless of whether or not they choose to submit a test score.

Note: Remember to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) if you are interested in being considered for need-based aid.