Admissions Process for First-Year International Students
Admission standards at Luther College are very selective. We seek to admit international students who, on the evidence of their academic records, appear capable of successful academic work in the United States.
The college accepts promising students without regard to age, color, creed, disability, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal or state law.
To be considered for admission as a first-year international student, you must complete and submit the following:
- An application for admission. International applicants must complete the Common Application—including the admissions essay/personal statement.
- Two letters of recommendation from teachers, counselors, or advisors.
- Original or certified copies of your secondary school transcripts or mark sheets. These copies should be signed by the proper authorities.*
- The results of your final secondary school examination (school leaving certificate) and the results of any national examination (if your country administers a national examination). If you have not yet taken these examinations, submit them later once you have completed the exams.*
- Proof of English Language Proficiency. Scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), TOEFL Essentials, the International English Language Testing Service (IELTS), or Duolingo English Test (DET) exams are the recommended form of proof. Such proof is not required, however, from applicants whose language of instruction has been English or of those who have studied the English language extensively. In addition, students who are completing the IB Diploma may or may not be required to submit TOEFL, IELTS, or DET results. A score of 80 or higher is required on the TOEFL; band 8.5 or higher is required on the TOEFL Essentials; band 6.5 or higher is required on the IELTS; and a score of 115 or higher is required on the DET.
- SAT or ACT test scores. These scores are not required for admission, but we do recommend you take them. The results of these exams may be used to enhance the level of your academic scholarship.
- A completed, signed, and verified International Student Application for Financial Assistance (ISAFA), indicating your ability to finance your travel to and study at Luther College.; In addition, you should provide certified bank statements, parental wage statements, or other documents that provide evidence of your ability to finance your portion of costs related to your studies.
*Please note: An original or certified copy of a document must include a stamp/seal and signature from school official or notary, which certifies the document as a copy of an original. Each document should be submitted in English. If the document is not available in English from the school, please submit a complete and literal translation using the same format as the original document.