InterLibrary Loan Services
As part of Preus Library, the Interlibrary Loan Department works to facilitate and support the teaching, learning, and scholarship of Luther College students, faculty and staff. The Interlibrary Loan staff strive to provide accurate, timely, and consistent service in a courteous and informed manner in order to provide the best service to our users.
Please speak with a reference librarian if your research will require extensive use of interlibrary loan materials.
With Interlibrary Loan, you can:
- request books, musical scores, theses, VHS videos, microfilm and microfiches, and ERIC documents
- obtain articles from journals, newspapers, books (chapters or essays), and microfilm and microfiches
Who can request an Interlibrary Loan?
- Luther students, faculty, staff, and faculty or staff spouses.
- Off-campus users (i.e., faculty on sabbatical; and students participating in study away programs, internships, or student teaching). See note below for details.
- Patrons not eligible: Community patrons, alumni, and dependents of Luther College faculty or staff; contact your local public library for information on Interlibrary Loan services.
How to submit an Interlibrary Loan request:
- All requests are made online through ILLiad, the library’s Interlibrary Loan service.
- Submit requests from the ILLiad link on our homepage or directly through a select number of our citation databases (e.g., WorldCat).
- When submitting a request, include all citation information.
Note to Faculty:
- If you assign a student worker to process your request(s) for you, provide your Luther College faculty ID number to the student. We prefer that students do not submit requests for faculty materials using their own student name and ID number.
- Contact your library liaison if you feel that an item you are requesting should be part of the library’s collection.
What items are not typically available for Interlibrary Loan?
- periodical volumes
- books published within the last year
- reference materials
- books on tape/CD
- DVD and CD recordings
- materials that are considered rare, fragile, or too valuable to lend
- texts or textbooks for Luther College courses
- loans available only from foreign libraries (does not include articles)
- articles longer than 50 pages
Plan ahead when making your Interlibrary Loan request(s). Your research process should include 1½ - 2 weeks for the Interlibrary Loan staff to search, process, and receive your request(s).
- allow 1 ½ to 2 weeks to receive your Interlibrary Loan requests
- processing may take longer during holidays and breaks, due to reduced staff
Interlibrary Loan requests are processed on a first-come, first-served basis. We reserve the right to prioritize interlibrary loan requests in order to fill research needs first.
Notification of Interlibrary Loan Arrivals
- All patrons receive an email when an Interlibrary Loan arrives.
- Books and other materials are picked up at the Circulation Desk; leave all slips attached to the item(s).
- Articles that arrive electronically via Odyssey are delivered electronically. Otherwise, patrons choose when registering for ILLiad whether they want to pick up their articles at the Circulation Desk or have them delivered to their SPO or office via campus mail.
We can provide articles electronically via email for faculty on sabbatical and students participating in study-away programs, internships, or student teaching. We will not mail books or other materials to you from the Preus Library collection or process interlibrary loan requests for books or other materials that must be returned to other libraries.
For more detail, see ILL Policies.
|ILL Student Assistant Handbook.PDF||359.66 KB|