Probation Frequently Asked Questions

Here you can find answers to any questions you might have concerning academic probation.

You are placed on academic probation when you do not meet the cumulative grade point average for Luther courses only. Below you will find the minimum GPA needed to avoid being placed on academic probation based on the credits earned at Luther.

Hours Minimum Cumulative GPA

  • 0-26: 1.75
  • 27-59: 1.90
  • 60-graduation: 2.00

You will also be placed on probation if your semester GPA is less than 1.0.

The Registrar’s Office will notify you once final grades have posted if you are placed on academic probation.

If you’re placed on academic probation, you must meet with your academic advisor and a member of the CAE Office. You will also need to complete the Academic Success Plan (ASP), which helps to identify and list expectations designed to encourage academic improvement. You will be required to set up regular appointments with a CAE staff member to establish methods of support.

If you’re on an ASP. You are:

  1. Required to complete an individual ASP or learning contract.
  2. Required to participate in the “academic success program” housed in the Center for Academic Enrichment (CAE).
  3. Expected to attend regularly scheduled meetings with an academic mentor/coach from CAE, TRIO or Catalyze Program.
  4. Expected to attend scheduled meetings with academic advisor(s) and relevant professors.
  5. Expected to attend tutoring sessions, as needed.
  6. Attend Academic Success Workshops (i.e., time management, study skills, etc.).
  7. Required to meet with a Financial Aid counselor.

Yes, but you should always check with the Financial Aid Office at 563-387-1018 to determine your aid eligibility.

To achieve good academic standing, you must improve your cumulative GPA to the minimum level or higher as stated above. DOSS (The Division of Student Success) is here to support you through this bump in the road.

No. In compliance with NCAA Division III rules, students on academic probation may not compete on any intercollegiate athletic team.