Inclusive Teaching Resources
CELT provides Luther faculty with a range of resources that define inclusive teaching and offer strategies for constructing inclusive classroom environments.
These strategies include everything from incorporating diverse perspectives into course content to creating an inclusive classroom climate where all students feel valued and able to thrive.
Racial Proficiency and Facilitating Conversations on race in the Classroom
(NB: The moniker “difficult moments” or “difficult conversations” may be harmful, as it stigmatizes a proficiency that we should pursue and develop, not avoid. See the article by Derisa Grant in IHE for an explanation.)
- “Handle Difficult Moments with Respect & Sensitivity” Eberly Center, Carnegie Mellon University (Teaching After Tragedy, Hot Moments, Microaggressions)
- “Responding to Difficult Moments” University of Michigan Center for Research on Teaching and Learning (Hot Moments handout)
- “Navigating Difficult Moments in the Classroom” Derek Bok Center for Teaching and Learning, Harvard University
- “Difficult Dialogues“ Vanderbilt University Center for Teaching
- “Safe Spaces and Brave Spaces” National Association of Student Personnel Administrators (“Establishing Brave Spaces” diagram)
Resources on Racial Awareness, Race Talk, and Anti-Racism in Education
- “Racial Awareness” Poorvu Center for Teaching and Learning, Yale University
- Racial Literacy Quiz
- “Race Talk: Engaging Young People in Conversations about Race and Racism” Anti-Defamation League
- “How Should I Talk about Race in My Mostly White Classroom?” Anti-Defamation League
- “The 10 R’s of Talking About Race: How to Have Meaningful Conversations” (Net Impact, June 3, 2020)
- Derald Wing Sue, “Helping People Talk About Race: Facilitation Skills for Educators and Trainers” (chapter 13 of his book Race Talk and the Conspiracy of Silence: Understanding and Facilitating Difficult Dialogues on Race)
- Brookfield, Stephen D. Teaching Race: How to Help Students Unmask and Challenge Racism. John Wiley & Sons, Incorporated, 2018.
- Kernahan, Cyndi. Teaching About Race and Racism in the College Classroom: Notes from a White Professor. First ed., West Virginia University Press, 2019.
- Stevenson, Howard C. Promoting Racial Literacy in Schools: Differences That Make a Difference. Teachers College Press, 2014.
- 2019 ACE plenary session on race in the US and US colleges (Beverly Daniel Tatum and Robin DiAngelo)
- Becoming An Anti-Racist Educator (Wheaton College, Massachusetts)
- Talking About Race (National Museum of African American History & Culture)