The academic year at Luther is divided into:
- Fall Semester (late August-December)
- January Term (the month of January; students refer to it as “J-Term”)
- Spring Semester (February-May)
- Summer Sessions (Two four-week summer sessions are offered, one in June and the other in July)
A Luther semester lasts approximately 14 weeks (13.5 weeks of classes and a 4-day final exam period).
January Term at Luther alters the pace of the academic year by creating opportunities for you to engage in focused exploration of a single subject. January study is often experiential and/or experimental, and offers greater opportunities for learning. You are required to complete two January Terms while enrolled at Luther.
Students engage in many diverse experiences during January Term, including:
- study away domestically or abroad
- individualized study with a faculty member
- campus-based experiential courses
- internships and clinical experiences
Two four-week summer sessions are offered each year. Students normally take one four-hour course each session. A special bulletin for the summer school with detailed course information is available online each March.
Need more info?
View the current academic calendar.