The academic year at Luther is divided into:
- Fall Semester (late August-December)
- January Term (the month of January; students refer to it as “J-Term”)
- Spring Semester (February-May)
- Summer Sessions (Two four-week summer sessions are offered, one in June and the other in July)
A Luther semester lasts approximately 14 weeks (13.5 weeks of classes and a 4-day final exam period).
January Term at Luther alters the pace of the academic year by creating opportunities for you to engage in focused exploration of a single subject. January study is often experiential and/or experimental, and offers greater opportunities for learning. You are required to complete two January Terms while enrolled at Luther.
Students engage in many diverse experiences during January Term, including:
- study away domestically or abroad
- individualized study with a faculty member
- campus-based experiential courses
- internships and clinical experiences
Two four-week summer sessions are offered each year. Students normally take one four-hour course each session. A special bulletin for the summer school with detailed course information is available online each March.
Need more info?
View the current academic calendar.
If you have further questions about the academic calendar, please contact the Luther College Registrar’s Office at 563-387-1167 or email@example.com.