The Technology Help Desk will provide limited hardware and software re-installs for personally owned computers to current Luther students. Faculty and Staff should seek service for their personal devices with a local shop. We only service a limited number of devices at one time, and service is available first come, first served whenever a slot is open. We do not hold slots or have a waiting list.
The Technology Help Desk provides the following services:
- Operating System installation/repair (Windows/Mac)
- In-depth troubleshooting of Operating Systems and repairs
- Driver installation and troubleshooting
- Minor hardware repair, upgrades, or installs including:
- Hard drive install (including transfer of data)
- Network cards
- CD/DVD drives
- Provide advice to help in identifying proper hardware for upgrades or repairs
These services are offered free of charge. Users will be required to provide all necessary software or hardware (as defined by a Technology Help Desk technician), provide any passwords required to access the computer, and sign a Liability Waiver .
We do not guarantee results or timeframe. As only some of our students are technicians, we can’t rival the expediency of paid services.
The Technology Help Desk will not:
- Install Luther software on any personal computer
- Visit residence halls or private residences
- Work on printers or faxes
The Technology Help Desk reserves the right to refuse to work on any personal equipment.
User Services provides full repair for workstations and equipment that is owned by Luther College. Network printers and multi-function devices are handled through an agreement with Ricoh Corporation (formerly known as IKON Systems).