When planning for your transition to college, it's important to consider packing a few supplies for your “medicine cabinet” away from home before you arrive to campus.
Keep some basic supplies on hand so you don't have to go out if you feel sick or experience a minor injury. Consider the following depending on your needs and what you use at home.
First Aid Supplies
What to bring:
- Digital thermometer
- Bandages for small wounds and blisters
- ACE wrap for minor sprains
- Ice pack
- Heating pad
- Antibacterial cream or ointment like Bacitracin
- Anti-inflammatory cream like Cortaid (for some rashes and bug bites)
Here are some medicines you may want to have on hand:
- Antihistamine such as Benadryl©, Zyrtec©, Claritin©
- Antacid such as Tums© or Mylanta©
- Acid reducer such as Zantac© or Pepcid©
- Anti-diarrhea medication like Imodium AD©
- Fever reducer/pain reducer such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen
- Nasal decongestant such as Mucinex©, saline spray, or nasal rinse
- Cough suppressant such as Robitussin or honey
Remember to plan ahead for any special medical needs or prescription medications you may need to transfer to a pharmacy near you while you are in college.