Sustainability Student Work Positions
At Luther we provide students the opportunity to be sustainability leaders through a variety of work-study positions. Students work in close collaboration with staff, faculty and students across campus, as well as community members.
Academic Year Sustainability Work Study
You will work collaboratively on projects, events and messages that help to create a more inclusive community, reduce waste and shrink our carbon footprint. You can help transform Luther College, and make it a more sustainable place!
Sustainability student workers take on a variety of projects, from website management and marketing to implementing sustainability initiatives such as Residence Hall Composting, Energy Education, Zero Waste Initiatives, Shopping Shuttle and Cafeteria to Community.
Gardeners are responsible for the planting, harvesting, and general upkeep of the Luther gardens and greenhouse, which provide produce to Luther Dining Services. The addition of a moveable high tunnel has allowed the students more opportunities to grow food earlier in the spring and later into the fall.
Recyclers and Composters
No matter the weather conditions, recyclers make daily rounds to residence halls and academic building to collect recyclables and compost. Students from this crew also help with move-out waste and other alternative waste collections.
Summer Sustainability Work Study
There are several opportunities for current Luther students to work in sustainability-related fields at Luther over the summer.
How to Apply
- Applications for summer work in Sustainability are handled by the Student Employment Office. Before applying for summer work, you will need to complete an Intent to Work Summer Employment form.
- To view positions and apply for them, you will need to log in to your account in Handshake. There are two Sustainability Positions being offered: Sustainability Educator and Gardener.
- If you have questions about summer employment or handshake, email email@example.com or phone 563-387-1072.
Questions about Sustainability positions may be directed to:
- Olivia Helland, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chris Frantsvog, email@example.com
- Jon Jensen, firstname.lastname@example.org
Land Stewardship Internship Opportunities
Luther College Land Stewardship is hiring for summer internship opportunities. The hands-on management experience builds students’ knowledge of what it takes to maintain biologically diverse native communities, and is a resume builder for future work in the fields of restoration and conservation biology. Stewardship interns work as part of a crew conducting management of invasive species, trail building and maintenance, research and vegetation monitoring (a good introduction to research), prescribed burns, and other projects.
How To Apply
Sending the following in an email to Dr. Molly McNicoll (email@example.com):
- Name, year in school, major
- A short paragraph on your interest in land stewardship and any relevant experiences you may have had.
- A screenshot copy of your unofficial transcript (or, drop a paper copy in a sealed envelope under my office door, SHL 190C).
Stewardship applications due Friday, March 24.