Complete one or two internships in a working environment of your choice. You will evaluate and practice the leadership principles and strategies you have learned.
Experience a variety of instructional methods including lectures, classroom discussion, guest speakers, leadership assessment techniques, research evaluation, reading assignments, media presentations, and directed opportunity to share individual perspective.
An applied leadership studies minor engages you in a sequenced concentration of coursework grounded in experiential learning and relevant practice.
What You’ll Learn
As an applied leadership studies minor, you’ll:
- Study the principles and actions relating to effective leadership practices
- Examine leadership styles and how effective planning influences decision-making processes
- Gain an understanding of leadership behavior in the context of personal skills, relational dynamics, community development, and vocational application
- Identify common themes and actions of successful leadership plans
- Learn to recognize measurable change in education, behavior, and societal perspective
Lectures, class discussion, readings, media, guest speakers, and experiential activities reinforce course content. A required internship is also integrated into the minor. This provides relevant and personalized hands-on experience and life-skill development. All experiential learning opportunities take place in working environments that complement your professional ambitions and interests.
The applied leadership studies minor at Luther complements the diverse array of academic disciplines Luther offers. It also enhances professional opportunities, graduate school pursuits, and personal growth.
Careers and Outcomes
Graduates with an applied leadership studies minor can apply their knowledge and skills to virtually any career path.
- Manager and/or director of athletic services
- Director of recreational services
- Community directorships
- Human service professionals
- Healthcare services and administration
- Public and private school administration and instruction
- Health and wellness professionals
- Corporate management
- Non-profit administration
- Organizational development professional
- Management of communication services
- Corporate administrations
- K-12 school systems
- Hospitals and clinics
- Emotional health agencies
- Recreational and occupational therapy departments
- Social service agencies
- Colleges and universities
- Law firms
- Sports programs
- Small entrepreneurial businesses
- Community and regional governing bodies
- Multifaceted recreational service businesses
A Great Complement to Many Majors
The applied leadership studies minor complements many areas of study. Luther students from a wide variety of degree programs are enrolled in the minor.