Safety and Security
Your safety is our first priority. At Luther, we work around the clock to ensure a safe and welcoming environment.
The Luther College Safety and Security team is made up of dedicated and experienced staff. They work in shifts 24/7 to make certain our campus is a place where you’ll feel comfortable living and learning.
Campus Safety and Security partners closely with administrators, faculty, and student groups to both prevent and address safety concerns.
They also work closely with the Decorah Police Department to ensure that Luther students are safe both on campus and in the Decorah area.
In the Event of an Emergency
In the event of an emergency on campus, dial 563-387-2111 or 911. Numerous emergency phones are located in campus parking lots and at building entrances for use as needed.
The following phone numbers are provided for non-emergency situations. Using these numbers will provide a prompt response from the responsible agency and keep the 911 lines free for emergencies.
- Security Services – 563-387-2111
- Decorah Police – 563-382-3667
- Facilities Services – 563-387-1146 (or 563-387-2111 after hours)
- Health Services – 563-387-5400
View the Annual Security Report
Vehicle Parking and Registration
The vehicle registration and parking program at Luther College is designed to provide:
- A maximum parking area consistent with the maintenance of the natural beauty of the campus
- The use of available parking spaces in the best interests of the whole college
- The achievement of as equitable an arrangement as possible for allocating parking privileges to students on the basis of residence in relation to distance from the campus
If you bring a vehicle to college and operate it within Decorah, you will need to register it.
Free Food and Personal Products
Luther College’s Little Free Pantry provides free food staples and hygiene products. It has two locations open 24/7: the Meditation Chapel in the Center for Faith and Life, and the lounge outside of the Book Shop on the first floor of the Union. Take what you need and give what you can. Updates are posted on the Little Free Pantry Facebook page. The Little Free Pantry is maintained by the Office for College Ministries.
The Luther College Student Handbook is a collection of student conduct standards, policies, and procedures that define community expectations for students at Luther. It also serves as an important resource for students, highlighting a wide variety of topics related to life on the Luther campus.