How To Combat the “Sunday Scaries”
March 3, 2022
The Sunday Scaries can be described as feelings of anticipatory anxiety that set in due to the inevitable fact that we have to return to school and/or work on Monday.
I personally used to hate Sundays. They were my least favorite day of the week (yes, that means I even liked Monday over Sunday!), and that's mostly due to the fact that I used to get really bad Sunday Scaries. However, I am happy to report that I have gotten a lot better at managing it!
Here are some tips that I have used to turn Sundays from a day of dread into something more enjoyable. One of the key things is to try and make Sunday more exciting. Here are some ways you could do this:
- Treat yourself! Take yourself on a brunch date or buy that shirt that has been in your Amazon cart for weeks.
- Don't leave all of your homework for Sunday. I usually try to get most, if not all of my homework done on Saturday morning. This really helps me not feel overwhelmed and makes me feel more comfortable treating myself/taking time to do things I enjoy. It also helps me relax on Sundays because it alleviates the guilt I sometimes feel when I do things for myself and my well-being instead of working on my homework.
- Make Monday a special occasion: schedule things you look forward to on Mondays! This can be something as simple as spending time with friends or taking some time to do your favorite activity (i.e., painting, weightlifting, watching Netflix, etc.)
- Take care of yourself. Eat your favorite meal, connect with your family/friends, hydrate, journal, meditate, skincare, etc.
There are also some organizational/productive things I like to take care of on Sundays to help me feel more in control of the week ahead:
- Create a weekly schedule. This could include things like managing assignments/quizzes/exams you might have due this week, activities you plan to attend, extracurricular activities you're involved in, your class schedule, and work schedule, etc. I personally find this helpful because it gives me an overview of what kind of week I'm going to have, and helps me keep track of my various commitments so I don't accidentally double-book myself, or take on too much.
- Tackle any emails you might have missed over the weekend. This will help prepare you for anything your professors might have thrown your way and can alleviate some anxiety by being able to know what's coming.
These are just a few of many tips I have learned through my college experience to combat the Sunday Scaries. As you progress through your unique college experience, you will discover what tools/tips help you along the way, too. Once you create and execute these good anxiety management habits, you will be better equipped to overcome any anxiety and set yourself up for long-term success.