The Legacy Trust was established in 1986 in connection with the 125th anniversary of the college. The initial objective was to add at least $250,000 to Luther’s scholarship endowment fund each year.
Response to the program has been extraordinary over the years, with more than $110 million in cash and planned gifts raised. Thanks to the generosity of our donors, Luther students—most of whom could not otherwise afford to be here—now benefit from more than 925 scholarships that have been established at Luther.
The Legacy Trust Scholarship Program recognizes donors who have established annual or endowed scholarships. Scholarship donors are invited to the Donor Recognition and Appreciation Event each year.
As we look ahead, scholarship support remains critical as students search for ways to meet the rising costs of higher education. You can help ensure a quality education for our students by establishing a scholarship through the Legacy Trust program.
During the 2021-22 academic year, $7.2 million in donor-funded financial aid was distributed to nearly 900 students through awards ranging from $100 to $31,548.
Legacy Trust Scholarships
A full list of Legacy Trust scholarships can be found in our directory.
Established in Calendar Year 2022
Annual scholarships provide the opportunity for donors to make an immediate impact.
- Dennis Flatness Memorial Scholarship
- Stuart D. Nevermann Scholarship
Estate of Janelle (Johnson) Nevermann ’58
- Kathryn Vigen Nursing Scholarship
Estate of Kathryn Vigen
Named endowed scholarships provide an enduring stream of scholarship support to assist current and future generations of Luther students, with a minimum commitment of $25,000.
- Irvin and Delois Flage Memorial Scholarship
Deborah (Flage) Timmerman ’75 and Daniel Flage ’73
- Audrey Niemann Scholarship Fund
Estate of Audrey C. Niemann
- Brenda Severson Meyer Scholarship**
Brenda Severson Meyer ’83 and Brian Meyer
- Richard and Jane Theiler Scholarship**
Richard ’72 and Jane Theiler
Named endowed scholarships provide an enduring stream of scholarship support to assist current and future generations of Luther students, with a minimum commitment of $50,000.
- Renee (Anderson) and Charles S. Brown, Jr. Scholarship
Renee (Anderson) ’72 and Charles Brown
- Carol Denbrook Buesgens Scholarship
Carol (Denbrook) Buesgens ’67
- Thomas and Candace Juracek Scholarship*
Thomas ’79 and Candace Juracek
- Barbara Lueder Scholarship*
Barbara Lueder ’70
- Warren C. Meyer Scholarship*
- Oltrogge Dodrill Scholarship*
Kymberly Oltrogge ’83 and James Dodrill
- Richard H. and Donna L. Rima Scholarship*
Richard ’69 and Donna Rima
- Tom Schmidt Memorial Scholarship**
- Mark Strohbehn Study Away Scholarship*
Mark Strohbehn ’07 and Aaron Jost
- Joy Tlou Memorial Award
Promise scholarships are to help close the gap in unmet financial need – allowing Luther to attract and recruit the most talented students.
- Broman Family Promise Scholarship**
Faith Broman ’83
(*) – deferred
(**) – in progress
(***) – deceased