Federal Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant
A TEACH Grant will provide up to $4,000 to assist students intending to teach in a school that serves students from low-income families. In addition, the student must be willing to teach in a high-need field as determined either by the U.S. Department of Education or by a state education agency.
To receive this grant, students must meet all of the following criteria:
- Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Be a U.S. Citizen or eligible non-citizen
- Enroll in coursework necessary to begin a teaching career
- Have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25/4.00 or score above the 75th percentile on a college admission test such as the ACT or SAT
- Agree to teach in a high-need field including Bilingual Education and English Language Acquisition, Foreign Language, Mathematics, Reading Specialist, Science or Special Education
- Agree to teach in other state-identified shortage areas as of the time you begin to teach in that field (www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ope/pol/tsa.doc)
- Agree to teach in a school that serves low-income students studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/tcliDirectorySearch.action
- Meet with a member of the Financial Aid Office staff to discuss your eligibility
- Complete Teach Grant Counseling and the Agreement to Serve (studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/index.action)
Failure to teach in a position that is designated as a shortage field and is located in a low-income school for four years out of the first eight upon graduation or otherwise leaving school will result in all TEACH Grant funds converting to Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans with accrued interest being charged back to the original disbursement dates of each TEACH Grant.
TEACH Grants are serviced by FedLoan Servicing. Those who are currently TEACH Grant recipients can view additional information about their grants at myfedloan.org/borrowers/special-programs/teach-grants.
More information regarding the Federal TEACH Grant can be found at studentaid.ed.gov/sa/types/grants-scholarships/teach