Why Luther’s Educational Plan Is Ideal
Luther’s liberal arts education teaches students how to think critically. It emphasizes the importance of learning about a variety of subjects, analyzing new perspectives, and synthesizing different areas of study. It also prepares you for your career while helping you become a responsible global citizen who lives with purpose and leads with courage.
A liberal arts education not only equips you to work in your chosen path, but in a number of other fields as well. At Luther, you’ll learn to think flexibly and expansively, which means you’ll graduate with a rich body of knowledge. You’ll also discover how to draw on what you’ve learned to solve problems and work creatively in many areas.
Luther’s educational plan helps you develop academically, professionally, socially, and personally throughout your life.
Where to Find Help When Choosing a Major
- Meet with a first-year advisor—all incoming students at Luther meet regularly with an academic advisor who will help you make the transition from high school to college
- Find resources, help, and guidance from the Career Center—meet with a Career Coach to build awareness of your strengths, competencies, and develop connections and experiences to inform your next step
- Meet with faculty—discuss courses in majors that interest you and potential careers
- Explore study away opportunities—consider new experiences to broaden your perspective and help you learn to navigate the wider world
- Do an internship—gain knowledge and skills in industries and roles that you’re considering
- Hold informational interviews—talk with a professional in the field and get the inside scoop about a role that interests you and learn how you can prepare yourself for entering this field
- Read course descriptions in the college academic catalog—get detailed information about topics you want to learn more about
- Get a work-study job or join a student organization—explore different fields of interest and build your skills
- Talk with other students—ask how they chose their major and learn about careers they’re considering
Move Forward with Confidence
Even if you’re still deciding on a major, be assured that Luther has the resources and help you need in place to succeed. In fact, most first-year students who enter Luther as undecided complete their degree within 4 years and 20-25% complete double majors.