Professor Philip Freeman receives grant from Harvard's Loeb Classical Library Foundation to complete work on letters of St. Patrick

May 17, 2010

Philip Freeman, Luther College professor of classics, has received a $29,455 fellowship from Harvard University’s Loeb Classical Library Foundation to complete his work on a new edition of the Latin letters of St. Patrick and early Irish literature on Patrick.

Freeman’s book is schedule for publication in 2011 by the Catholic University of America Press.

The Loeb Foundation Fellowship award is for the 2010-11 academic year. Freeman will be on sabbatical from his teaching duties at Luther College while he completes the project.

The Loeb Classical Library Foundation awards grants to qualified scholars to support research, publication and other projects in the area of classical studies. Grants may be used for a wide variety of purposes, including publication of research, enhancement of sabbaticals, travel to libraries or collections, dramatic productions, excavations, or cost of research materials.

Grants are competitive and range from $1,000 to $35,000. A special selection committee chooses the persons to whom grants are to be awarded and recommends the amount of the grants.

Professor Freeman holds the Orlando W. Qualley Chair of Classical Languages at Luther College. An internationally recognized specialist in Greek, Roman, medieval culture and Celtic studies, he is the author of numerous other publications, including “Julius Caesar” (Simon & Schuster, 2008), “St. Patrick of Ireland” (Simon & Schuster, 2004), and “War, Women, and Druids” (University of Texas Press, 2002).

Before joining the classics department at Luther, Freeman taught at Boston University and Washington University. He has been a visiting scholar at the Harvard Divinity School, the American Academy in Rome, and the Center for Hellenic Studies in Washington, D.C.

A frequent speaker and presenter, Freeman has given talks on the ancient world at the Smithsonian Institution and interviews on National Public Radio and Minnesota Public Television.

James Loeb founded the Loeb Classical Library in 1911 to make the work of classical authors accessible to as many readers as possible, regardless of their knowledge of Greek or Latin. The library’s first 20 volumes were published in 1912.

Loeb also wanted the Loeb Classical Library to support the best of Anglo-American classical scholarship. When he died in 1933, Loeb bequeathed the library, by then numbering almost 300 volumes, and $300,000 to his alma mater, Harvard University. The fund was named “The Loeb Classical Library Foundation” and is used to complete the Loeb Classical Library and to support research in the classics.

Although Harvard now has sole responsibility for the Loeb Classical Library, it continues, as James Loeb wished, to be a joint Anglo-American enterprise. Editors and translators are drawn from both sides of the Atlantic. The authors in the Loeb Classical Library span 14 centuries and every genre of literature.

Information about the foundation is available at website http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~lclf/.