Education: M.A., Athletic Training, University of Iowa, L.A.T.; B.A., Physical Education, Luther College
Luther College has been a part of my life ever since I can remember. As the son of a life-long educator and coach, I have attended countless sporting and academic events. I have had the opportunity to listen to my father and many other coaches as they motivate, encourage, and counsel with young men and women. I have grown up knowing athletes whose careers were affected or cut short due to injury or surgery.
Therefore, it should be no surprise that my undergraduate experience at Luther College included a background in education and athletic training. I was fortunate to have mentors and now colleagues who genuinely cared for the academic and athletic success of their students.
One theme that resonated consistently from my experiences was the concern for the athlete as a member of the team and as a student. This is the heart of Division III athletics, where young men and women are supported and encouraged to achieve their best in the classroom and in their extracurricular activities.
A component of athletic success involves a knowledgeable and experienced athletic training staff to treat, evaluate, and rehabilitate injured athletes. The same care and concern demonstrated by the coaching staff is mirrored through our athletic training staff as they provide services in the clinic.
Courses Teaching in HPES and BIO
- BIO 115 Human Anatomy
- BIO 301 Human Dissection and Anatomy
- ES 260 Adaptive Physical Activity
- ES 264 Kinesiology and Biomechanics
- ES 366 Physiology of Exercise
- HP 125 Introduction to Nutrition
Courses Previously Taught at Luther
- ATHTR 268 Clinical II: Head, Neck, Thorax, Abdomen and Upper Extremity Assessment
- ATHTR 365 Clinical III: Spine, Lower Extremity, and Posture Assessment
- ATHTR 367 General Medical and Pharmacology
- ATHTR 465 Clinical V:
- PE 250 Coaching of Sports
- PE 261 Applied Human Anatomy
- PAID 450 Sports and Ethics
- M.A., Exercise Science, University of Iowa, 1992
- B.A., Physical Education, Luther College, 1988
Licensure and Certification
- Licensed Athletic Trainer (LAT), Iowa Department of Public Health, 1995
- Certified Athletic Trainer (ATC), National Athletic Trainers’ Association, 1992
- National Athletic Trainers’ Association member since 1992
- Mid America Athletic Trainers’ Association member since 1992
- Iowa Athletic Trainers’ Society member since 1992 (Public Relations Director 1999-2000)