Move-Out Waste Diversion
In order to reduce the quantity of materials ending up in the landfill during move-out week, Campus Sustainability is running a volunteer program to help direct students on the proper way to dispose of items and materials they won’t be packing up and bringing home.
In teams of two or four, students will be placed at residential halls near the trash/recycling area and inside the building. Shifts will be in 2 hour blocks but we will accept shorter shifts if that is what will work in individual schedules. Interested in volunteering? Please fill out this volunteer form and we will get in touch with you. Deadline for volunteering is the Thursday before finals start.
Benefits of Volunteering
- You get permission to stay in your room until Friday at 6pm
- You can take pride knowing you're helping Luther reduce the amount of waste generated
- You can find some really cool things that someone else doesn’t want
- It’s a lot of fun
Duties of Volunteers
- Make students aware of the recycling bins next to the dumpster.
- Make students aware of the Trash to Treasure drop-off room (see list).
- Make students aware of the Food Collection box and where it is located (see list).
- Empty Food Collection boxes as they fill up.
- Offer to help students recycle material that they were going to throw in the dumpster.
- Divert items that could be sold at Trash to Treasures from being thrown into the dumpster.
- Divert food that could be given away from being thrown into the dumpster.
- Divert laundry soap or other cleaning materials for being thrown into the dumpster
- Log how many people were using the dumpster and recycling during your shift (to help scheduling for next year).
- Attend a mandatory meeting on Friday
|Wed.||5/15/12||12pm - 6pm||Brandt, Farwell, Larsen/Olson, Towers, Ylvi|
|Thur.||5/16/12||9am - 5pm||Brandt, Farwell, Larsen/Olson, Towers, Ylvi|
|Sun.||5/19/12||1pm - 5pm||Baker, Farwell, Olson/Larsen, Towers|