This is a 40 hour/week full time seasonal position from approximately May 20th through November 16th. Occasional weekend or holiday work will be required.
FSLA Status: Non-exempt seasonal full-time.Deadline: Application review will begin March 26, 2018
Summary: This position will support Seed Savers Exchange by assisting staff with all garden and seed production/regeneration grow-outs in the field.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:Job responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to:
1.Preparing gardens and beds for seeding and transplanting by hand.
2. Setting up and maintaining fences, trellises, and pollination cages.
3. Transplanting and direct seeding crops by hand.
4. Maintaining gardens, including watering, weeding, mulching, trellising and staking.
5. Collecting, reporting, and entering data in a timely manner.
6. Harvesting fruits, vegetables, grains, and seeds.
7. Threshing, extracting, winnowing, and conditioning seeds.
8. Following organizational protocols to ensure the genetic purity of accessions.
9. Cleaning up gardens at the end of the growing season by removing plant residue, fencing, trellises, and other equipment.
10. Maintaining an orderly equipment shed.
11. Other duties as assigned by the Field Manager.
- Applicants must be an enthusiastic, detail-oriented, flexible team player.
- Interest in seed saving/production and organic/sustainable agriculture preferred.
- Demonstrated practical work experience with plants; experience with organic vegetable crops is preferred.
- Ability to perform field work in wide ranging weather conditions.
- Ability to perform physical activity: lifting (up to 100 lbs. assisted); carrying (50 lbs.), bending frequently, climbing, pushing, and pulling.
- Ability to operate roto-tillers, weed-whips, and other small farm and garden implements.
- Applicants must have reliable transportation to and from work.
- Applicants must have a valid driver’s license.