Equal Exchange is a fair trade organization and coffee roaster headquartered in West Bridgewater, MA. Founded in 1986, our mission is to create more fair trade relationships between farmers and consumers. We bypass the conventional marketing system by cutting out middlemen and buying directly from farmer cooperatives. Due to the complex level of training involved with a worker-owner co-operative, Equal Exchange does ask for a two-year commitment to employment. This position is based in Madison, WI, where we have a small office.
Please send your resume, cover letter and answers to the application questions below to [email protected].
Deadline for applications: Friday, March 30th.
- Employment Status: Non-exempt position, full-time, worker-owner track
- Hours: 40 hours/week (Schedule is either Tuesday-Saturday or Monday-Friday)
- Starting Salary: $15/hour
- Benefits: Health/dental/vision insurance coverage, vacation, holidays, sick days, eligibility for worker ownership
- Department: East Sales Team
- Location: Madison, WI
- Report to: Madison Sales Manager
- Responsible for: Delivering and merchandising Equal Exchange product at local accounts. “DSD” stands for Direct Store Delivery.
- Works well independently
- Ability to directly communicate and problem solve with store personnel.
- Good time management skills
- Basic understanding of supermarket operations
- Valid driver’s license & clear driving record. Driver will have access to Equal Exchange-owned vehicle; preference is for the driver to park their vehicle at their home.
- Ability to lift boxes up to 70 lbs, and climb ladders up to 10 feet high.
- Interest in the mission of Equal Exchange
- Ability to learn order processing software; experience using computers is preferred
DELIVERY/MERCHANDIZING (APPROX. 70-75%)
- Deliver Equal Exchange products to wholesale grocery customers in Madison, WI.
- Establish efficient routing between stops.
- Receive product transfer shipments & load DSD vehicle with product
- Merchandising: Fill bulk coffee bins & merchandise all Equal Exchange products on store shelves
- Equipment maintenance/upkeep: clean bulk coffee bins at off-site kitchen & clean & calibrate coffee grinders on-site
- Understand multiple delivery systems unique to each account
- Handle Credits and Quality Control issues
- Other tasks as deemed necessary
INVENTORY (APPROX. 15%)
- Order products based on need & backstock constraints
- Maintain adequate supply of product at each site.
- Effectively rotate product for freshness using FIFO (first in, first out) management
- Submit accurate inventory counts once a month
OFFICE PAPERWORK & OTHER (APPROX.. 5%)
- Process order paperwork & enter account orders in Microsoft NAV inventory software system within 24 hours of delivery
- Submit hours worked, as well as other personnel records or notices, in a timely manner
- Maintain a clean, orderly delivery vehicle, including routine maintenance schedule (e.g. filling gas tank; changing oil; etc.), and alerts supervisor of other van maintenance as needed
PERSONNEL & WORKER OWNERSHIP/FAIR TRADE DEVELOPMENT (APPROX. 5 – 10%)
- Participate in staff, team, department, and educational (Exchange Time) meetings.
- Understand our producer partners, trading policies, and the Fair Trade movement.
- Understand and participate effectively in our worker cooperative model.
Please send your resume, cover letter and answers to the following questions to [email protected], by Friday, March 30th.