Ag Innovations is now hiring a Co-Executive Director to lead our organization in its day-to-day operations. This part-time position (50-80% time) is a unique opportunity to work with a leading-edge, growing, social enterprise nonprofit that specializes in collaborations for social change. Ag Innovations in Sebastopol, CA is dedicated to cultivating the ideas and actions needed for healthy farms, communities, and ecosystems.
We have a “flat” organization, with collaboration at its core. As Co-Executive Director you will work in partnership to shape an effective team and define the systems, skills, and strategic direction we develop to meet the challenges of creating a more sustainable food system.
This position offers you a chance to bring together your passion about systems change with your practical and tested skills as a team leader and manager. You will work with a talented team of 5 that includes a program staff focused on designing and facilitating impactful collaborations. You will supervise all line staff, including administrative/accounting staff, helping them achieve their goals and aspirations as both effective players on Ag Innovation’s behalf and as individuals who want personal and professional growth.
Your entrepreneurial spirit will be particularly important as you help us refine our unique and stable business model that combines consulting services and ongoing projects. You will be a key part of that mix, taking the lead in developing and organizing the resources necessary to serve our impact areas: local food, water, working lands, and rural communities.
This is a modern position for modern times. We want someone who is interested in working 50-80% time. Work-life balance is important at Ag Innovations.
If you are looking for a position that both challenges and inspires, that brings you in contact with incredible people across the state and the country, in an organization that cares deeply about its people and its work in the world, this position may be right for you.
The Co-Executive Director, Administration (CDA) is the organization’s primary operational manager and is accountable for the successful implementation of Ag Innovation’s annual program, advancement, and organizational development plans and administration of its financial and administrative systems. The CDA operates in a joint leadership role with the Co-Executive Director, programs (CDP) and operates in a shared authority and decision-making framework.
The CDA, working with the CDP, staff, and board, will create and implement the organization’s annual operating plan to accomplish Ag Innovations’ strategic objectives, mission and support the day-to-day management of the organization. Our ideal candidate organizes line staff and managers to best accomplish the organization’s goals and client needs. Will also be responsible for management and reporting structures, performance management, and internal systems necessary for organizational success.
Program Development and Administration
- Assure the organization creates an annual operations plan based on its strategic plan that includes programmatic, financial, and organizational development goals.
- Provide day-to-day management and oversight for AI to meet program deliverables within desired quality standards, and insure strong relationships with key clients.
- Implement the organization’s operational plan and provide timely management information about progress and risks to meeting organizational goals to the board.
- Assure compliance with all requirements of grants, contracts, or bequests that the organization receives, including regular reports, requests for changes in terms, and final closure.
- Maintain official records and documents, and ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulations.
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the management of growing nonprofit organizations.
- Work with CDP to build revenue sources that will further Ag Innovations’ mission and builds on its reputation and relationships.
- Oversee the fund development program and assure it meets its annual objectives.
- Assure the organization’s fund development efforts are coordinated between programs.
- Oversee the implementation the organization’s communication plan including print, web, social media and other vehicles.
- Assure the activities of the organization, its programs and goals are effectively communicated to a variety of audiences.
- Implementation of all human resources systems across the organization and work to continually improve systems to meet evolving needs. This includes development of job descriptions for all staff, conduct regular performance evaluations, and ensuring the organization’s human resources practices are followed.
- Organize the staff to best accomplish the goals of the annual and long-range plans and supervise staff.
- Conduct annual staff evaluations which will be the basis for salary increases, promotions, performance management and effectively manage all HR issues.
- Encourage staff development and education, and assist program staff in relating their specialized work to the total program of the organization.
Budget and Finance
- Responsible for developing and maintaining sound financial practices.
- Oversee and direct the operations of the finance department, ensuring timely and accurate transactional accounting and effective managerial accounting including budgeting and forecasting.
- Design and implement an annual budgeting process and secure approval of the budget from the Board of Directors.
- Manage organizational expenditures consistent with annual budget and communicate to the board any anticipated discrepancies.
- Responsible for office management (supplies ordering, printer/copier maintenance, office reception, staff meetings and events support.
- Assure adequate management of physical and electronic files and organizational calendaring systems, especially Google Drive, Box, Salesforce.
- Provide or coordinate IT support for all staff (upgrades, troubleshooting, new software/hardware installs and training, telephone system maintenance, new equipment purchasing, etc.)
Board of Directors Support
- Assure timely and accurate board agenda and minutes are prepared.
- Working with the chair of the board, identify and help recruit new board candidates.
- Develop and maintain board materials, including new board member materials.
- Provide routine reporting to the board on organizational operations.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree and 5 years management experience. Experience in the natural resources, food systems, or collaborative change domains is highly valuable.
Job Related Skills and Knowledge
- Knowledge of the laws and best practices for managing a non-profit organization.
- Experience with non-profit accounting and internal systems development and maintenance.
- Experience with communications, social media, and marketing.
- Experience with grant writing and/or direct donor fundraising.
- Excellent communication skills, including both written and verbal communication.
- Strong staff management skills, particularly in delegation to and supervision of staff.
- Ability to cultivate strong work teams that produce excellent work product.
- A valid driver’s license, acceptable driving record and auto liability insurance are required.
This position is open until filled. Please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected]
We're Hiring: Project Coordinator
We're hiring! If you want to help build a better future for California and beyond by working with a small but mighty team of process artists devoted to making systems change in the world of agriculture and natural resources, this is a great place for you. We are looking for a motivated, energetic individual who brings a complementary set of skills to our work, is excited about our mission and approach, and who wants to make the world a better place.
About the Project Coordinator Position:
The Project Coordinator reports to the Co-Director, and provides support to our facilitation team in creating effective change processes. Primary responsibilities include meeting planning, project coordination and research and analysis. The Coordinator also manages logistics, scheduling, coordination, communications and other support to the Ag Innovations programs staff. Our ideal candidate has a strong interest in facilitation, working with the public and project coordination.
- Manage meeting logistics for both virtual and in-person meetings, audio/visual requirements, venue selection, roster creation, catering, along with creation of meeting materials, registrations, travel coordination, speaker logistics.
- Develop meeting results (notes) that effectively portray the meeting’s work.
- Coordinate and attend planning meetings to support process and agenda design.
- Conduct research and data collection including preparing background presentations and topical briefs for participants.
- Project management assistance that includes calendaring, results tracking, stakeholder and participant communications, research, materials preparation, collaborative technology tools, and operations.
- Provide project communications assistance for website, social media postings, mass email notifications, publicity and outreach support. Will also utilize PowerPoint to support additional presentations.
- Perform other related duties and assignments as required.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- Minimum of two years administrative support experience. Knowledge of research and analysis techniques is highly desired.
- Demonstrated passion and interest in food systems, agriculture, and/or environment.
- Demonstrated proficiency in word processing, powerpoint presentations, creating and maintaining spreadsheets (Excel and Google Sheets), group calendaring, social media, project management tools, databases, and basic web editing.
- Applied skills in basic web-based research, analysis and summarization.
- Ability to manage several tasks/projects concurrently, with ease and professionalism.
- Familiarity with file organization and retention, and with customer relationship management (CRM) systems.
- Strong attention to detail, including proofing own work and that of others.
- Ability to focus and complete job duties in a fast-paced, complex environment.
- Ability to communicate professionally, clearly, and concisely, verbally and in writing.
- Effective interpersonal and customer service skills are required.
- Ability to listen to group discussions, produce meeting notes that are clear, organized and can be an accurate record of the meeting, its conclusions and decisions.
- Experience with event and meeting coordination/planning is a must.
- Strong work ethic and willingness to take ownership for wide-ranging responsibilities.
- Prior experience working in a training or facilitation environment is a plus.
Ag Innovations is located in Sebastopol, California, about an hour’s drive north of San Francisco. The position requires travel to project locations throughout California and occasionally nationally.
Apply by submitting a cover letter explaining your relevant experience and your motivation in applying for this position and a résumé to [email protected] This position is open until filled, however, applications received by February 16, 2018 will get priority screening.