Join the team at Heritage Farm!
We are looking for passionate people to help us in our work. If you care about preserving agricultural biodiversity, promoting the family and cultural traditions of seed saving, contact us about a job at our headquarters at Heritage Farm just north of Decorah, Iowa. This is a 40 hour/week full time seasonal position from approximately May 20th through November 16th. Occasional weekend or holiday work will be required.
FSLA Status: Non-exempt seasonal full-time.
Deadline: Application review will begin March 1, 2018
Summary: This position will support Seed Savers Exchange by assisting staff with all garden, seed regeneration and evaluation projects in the field.
Job responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to:
- Preparing gardens and beds for seeding and transplanting by hand.
- Setting up and maintaining fences, trellises, and pollination cages.
- Transplanting and direct seeding crops by hand.
- Maintaining gardens, including watering, weeding, mulching, trellising and staking.
- Collecting, reporting, and entering data in a timely manner.
- Harvesting fruits, vegetables, grains and seeds.
- Threshing, extracting, winnowing, and conditioning seeds.
- Following organizational protocols to ensure the genetic purity of accessions.
- Cleaning up gardens at the end of the growing season by removing plant residue, fencing, trellises, and other equipment.
- Maintaining an orderly equipment shed.
- Other duties as assigned by the Field Manager.
- Applicants must be an enthusiastic, detail-oriented, flexible team player.
- Interest in seed saving/production and organic/sustainable agriculture preferred.
- Demonstrated practical work experience with plants; experience with organic vegetable crops is preferred.
- Ability to perform field work in wide ranging weather conditions.
- Ability to perform physical activity: lifting (up to 100 lbs. assisted); carrying (50 lbs.), bending frequently, climbing, pushing, and pulling.
- Ability to operate roto-tillers, weed-whips, and other small farm and garden implements.
- Applicants must have reliable transportation to and from work.
- Applicants must have a valid driver’s license.
To Apply: Please email a cover letter, resumé, and the contact information for three references to [email protected] - include the name of the position in the subject line of your email. Applications may also be mailed to: Seed Savers Exchange | Attn: Karen Anderson | 3094 North Winn Rd. | Decorah, IA 52101.