Join the team at Heritage Farm! We are often looking for passionate people to help us in our work. If you care about preserving agricultural biodiversity, promoting the family and cultural traditions of seed saving, contact us about a job at our headquarters at Heritage Farm just north of Decorah, Iowa.This is a 40 hour/week seasonal position from approximately April 15th through October 12th. Occasional weekend and holiday work will be required.
FSLA Status: Non-exempt seasonal full-time.
Deadline: Application review will begin February 15, 2018
Summary: This position will support Seed Savers Exchange by assisting staff with garden, seed regeneration and evaluation projects in the field; with a focus on propagation and regeneration projects in the greenhouse.
Job responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to:
- Sowing, watering, and fertilizing transplants in a greenhouse and hoop house setting.
- Scouting for insects and diseases.
- Releasing beneficial insects.
- Sanitizing work environments and equipment.
- Following organizational protocols to ensure genetic purity of accessions.
- Releasing pollinator insects.
- Maintaining garden plots by transplanting, weeding (manual and mechanical), and harvesting crops.
- Performing wet and dry seed processing including seed extraction, seed cleaning, threshing, winnowing, and conditioning.
- Maintaining accurate records and entering data into a database in a timely manner.
- Other duties as assigned by the Field Manager.
- Applicant must be an enthusiastic, detail-oriented, flexible team player.
- Interest in seed saving/production and organic/sustainable agriculture preferred.
- Demonstrated practical work experience with plants; experience with organic vegetable crops is preferred.
- Willingness to perform field work in wide ranging weather conditions.
- Ability to perform physically demanding activities including lifting (up to 100 lbs. assisted); carrying (50 lbs.), standing for extended periods of time, bending, kneeling, climbing, pushing, and pulling.
- Ability to keep accurate, detailed records in a fast paced work environment.
- Applicants must have reliable transportation to and from work.
- Applicants must have a valid driver’s license.
To apply: Please email a cover letter, resumé, and the contact information for three references to [email protected] - include the name of the position in the subject line of your email. Applications may also be mailed to: Seed Savers Exchange | Attn: Karen Anderson | 3094 North Winn Rd. | Decorah, IA 52101.