Project DescriptionY.E.C.A. seeks to hire a project leader for the period of January 15, 2018 to September 30, 2018. This is a joint project between Young Evangelicals for Climate Action, Iowa Interfaith Power & Light, Creation Justice Ministries, and Iowa Nebraska NAACP. This project seeks to increase awareness and advocacy on energy equity and environmental justice with faith leaders in Iowa, and emphasizes Just Social and Economic Transition as we seek to address how all communities are included in a transition to renewable energy. The faith community has a unique voice in the climate movement, focusing on the moral imperative to act. However, faith leaders do not always understand the intersection between climate change, energy equity, and environmental justice issues. The project partners see an opportunity to bring faith leaders together for a series of listening sessions in which they can hear from leaders in the environmental justice movement about these issues, discern their role as a prophetic voice on energy equity, provide mutual support to one another, and organize for action. The goal is to build long-term support for the climate movement with faith leaders in Iowa, while being sure that equity is woven into the fabric of the energy transition. The project partners will host four listening sessions during the grant period for faith leaders, with a goal of 20 faith leaders per session. These will include a wide range of religious constituencies (denominational leaders, congregational leaders, multiple faith traditions, and black church leaders). This project may include specific content creation that can be shared during the listening sessions and as an online resource from the project partners’ websites and other communications channels. The project partners consider this a pilot project that can be adapted for use outside of Iowa in the future.Position ResponsibilitiesThe Project Leader will collaborate with the other partner organizations to plan and execute the four listening sessions for faith leaders in Iowa. The Project Leader is responsible for the following:
- Direct outreach to faith leaders in Iowa
- Recruiting for each of the four listening sessions, as well as following up to validate attendance in order to reach the goal of recruiting 20 faith leaders per session
- Organizing the logistics and content of the listening sessions in collaboration with the other grant organizations
- The Project Leader will receive training from Y.E.C.A on effective organizing strategies, communication, and background to Y.E.C.A. and their collaboration on this project
- The Project Leader will connect regularly with Kyle Meyaard-Schaap (Y.E.C.A. National Organizer and Spokesperson), Lindsay Mouw (Y.E.C.A. Program Coordinator), and with a subcommittee of Y.E.C.A.’s national steering committee to receive ongoing support and assistance and to provide updates throughout the duration of the project.
- On average, this position requires 10 hours of work per week.
Compensation Two stipends of $2,500 each will be awarded, the first after April 30, 2018 and the second after September 30, 2018.Additionally, all expenses incurred for travel, promotion, and content creation will be reimbursed by Y.E.C.A.Interested candidates will send a resume and cover letter to [email protected].