ORGANIZATIONAL BACKGROUND. The mission of the Organic Farming Research Foundation (OFRF) is to foster the improvement and widespread adoption of organic farming systems. Since our founding in 1990, OFRF has sponsored organic farming education, outreach, and competitive grant making programs, investing over $3M in 332 research grants to growers and scientists throughout the United States. This work is complemented by efforts to share our findings with policy makers, agricultural institutions, and federal agencies that can use the results to implement broader change and help advance the sector. OFRF envisions a future where organic farming is the leading form of agriculture.
POSITION OVERVIEW. OFRF is seeking an experienced and self-motivated Development Director to manage our fundraising initiatives. This is a full-time, exempt position with benefits, based out of our Santa Cruz, CA office. The Development Director reports to the Executive Director (ED) and is responsible for overseeing foundation relationships and proposals; individual donor stewardship; corporate sponsorships; special events; direct mail, and online giving. The Development Director works closely with OFRF’s small but dynamic staff to design and implement an effective fundraising plan to meet and grow the annual operating budget. We are looking for someone with a demonstrated ability to show initiative, achieve goals, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Leads development of annual fundraising goals.
- Provides oversight of development activities, including foundation and federal grants, corporate and individual giving, endowments, and fund raising events.
- In partnership with the ED and Development Associate, designs/implements new creative fundraising opportunities and programs. • Supervises the Development Associate.
- Manages Saleforce-based donor database to maintain accurate records and reports on both progress towards revenue goals as well as prospect and stewardship tracking.
- Provides strategic oversight of development and production of materials and marketing collateral.
- Oversees the development calendar.
- Supports ED’s cultivation of major donors.
- Researches and develops opportunities for grant funding.
- Writes foundation and federal grant proposals, including budgets, in association with ED and program staff.
- Manages grant deliverables and reporting for existing grants.
- Assists ED in managing relationships with foundations. Individual Donors
- Designs and implements stewardship programs to expand current donor base, increase level of giving, and re-engage lapsed donors.
- Provides oversight of donor acknowledgements, including personal calls from Board or ED, letters, annual report, web, and signage or naming opportunities.
- Manages the creation and production of fundraising appeals.
- Supports the ED in stewarding major donors. Events/Corporate Sponsorship
- Provides strategy and oversight in the design and production of fundraising events.
- Manages corporate relationships and donor stewardship.
- Identifies, tracks, and negotiates appropriate sponsorship opportunities; drafts contracts as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS. The ideal candidate will be a versatile development professional possessing a minimum of 5-7 years of philanthropic development experience illustrating a successful history in raising funds through a range of activities including individual donors, foundations, corporations, government grants, direct mail, efundraising, grant writing, and special events.
Skills and Qualities
- Demonstrated ability to show initiative, achieve goals, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong desire to meet with potential donors on a regular basis and travel to several meetings and events annually.
- Outstanding communication skills (written and oral).
- Proficiency with Macs and PCs, common software applications, and database (Salesforce experience strongly preferred).
- Ability to work independently as well as within a team.
- Exceptional organizational skills.
- Strong commitment to the mission, values, and goals of the Organic Farming Research Foundation.
- Familiarity with issues and challenges in organic agriculture and passion to make organic the leading form of agriculture in the U.S.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS. OFRF offers competitive salaries, a full range of benefits, and a great work environment. We look for co-workers who can have fun while working as hard as we do for a cause we love.
TO APPLY. Submit your complete packet with “OFRF Development Director” in subject line via email to [email protected] All qualified applicants should submit:
- A cover letter stating your interest, qualifications, and salary requirements.
- A resume outlining your skills and experience.
This is a full-time, exempt position with benefits, based out of our Santa Cruz, CA office.