Practical Farmers of Iowa is seeking an experienced professional to serve as our Midwest Cover Crop Executive Assistant. Practical Farmers offers a flexible, fast-paced work environment with opportunities for independent initiative and professional development.
- Search and summarize published academic literature;
- Manage, build, and populate Excel databases;
- Coordinate events;
- Coordinate and support farmer speakers;
- Interview, survey, and communicate one-on-one with farmers and other constituents;
- Edit and write grant proposals, reports and articles;
- Edit, track and report grant deliverables;
- Assist the Midwest Cover Crop Director as needed;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree is required, Master’s degree preferred, in a scientific field;
- Three years related experience required, five years preferred;
- Experience writing grant proposals and grant reports;
- Able to work independently;
- High level of organization;
- Fundamental understanding of Iowa agriculture;
- Experience with Microsoft Office programs, survey software and file-sharing (i.e. Dropbox, Google Drive);
- Excellent communication skills; this person needs to be outgoing, willing to pick up the phone, initiate contact with farmers, and have good interview skills;
- Ability to meet deadlines;
- Ability to work on several tasks at once;
- Flexible and adaptable.
This is a full-time position based in our Ames office. Salary commensurate with experience.
This position requires some travel (mostly in Iowa), a valid driver’s license, the ability to lift 50 pounds and the ability to walk long distances. The position reports to Sarah Carlson, Midwest Cover Crop Director. Practical Farmers is a family-friendly employer. The position includes full health care benefits, a flex plan, short- and long-term disability, life insurance, and generous paid time off. Employer contribution to a 401k retirement plan is offered after one year of employment.
Please apply by sending cover letter, resume and references to Sarah Carlson at [email protected] by COB Tuesday, November 1, 2016.