The BlueGreen Alliance seeks qualified candidates for the new position of Washington State Policy Coordinator in Seattle, Washington.
The BlueGreen Alliance (BGA) is a national partnership of labor unions and environmental organizations advocating for good jobs, a clean environment, and a green economy. Washington State is among the most promising places in the nation to advance the BlueGreen vision, with extraordinary opportunities to develop climate solutions while promoting shared prosperity, good family-supporting jobs, and greater social and economic equity.
Job Summary: BGA seeks a WA policy coordinator to spearhead the program and policy work of the BlueGreen Alliance in Washington state. The coordinator will develop, promote, and implement programs that educate and mobilize members to action; build long term alliances to promote smart energy solutions; and work with union and environmental partners to effectively support policies that build the clean energy economy in ways that reduce emissions, create quality, family-sustaining jobs, and promote shared, sustainable prosperity. The Washington BGA table of labor and environmental partners is an active, committed group with ambitious goals and strong member support. The Coordinator’s role is to organize, focus, and drive our collective efforts.
The Washington Policy Coordinator will work closely with BGA staff, the WA-based BGA executive committee, and state-wide steering committee to develop and execute initiatives, campaigns and legislative strategy. While principally focused on state-level policy, the WA BGA may also engage in federal and regional clean energy initiatives. The Coordinator reports to the WA-based BGA executive committee and BGA’s West Coast director. The position is based in Seattle.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: The WA Policy Coordinator will help develop and implement the initiatives of the BlueGreen Alliance and the WA-based BGA partners to build the clean economy and increase collaborative efforts of labor and environmental organizations across a range of issues.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited, to:
- Coordinate BGA’s state policy initiatives, in collaboration with BGA’s West Coast staff and the WA state steering committee.
- Coordinate WA BGA’s effort to support a carbon pollution reduction plan and clean fuel standard.
- Coordinate targeted efforts and investments in specific projects and programs that accelerate job growth and community economic development (such as the Bellingham Waterfront Redevelopment and state-funded energy efficiency initiatives).
- Execute the WA state implementation of BGA national campaigns including Repair America.
- Work to coordinate the efforts of the WA Steering Committee member organizations in the development and implementation of policy, program and campaign initiatives.
- Make public presentations, including preparing and presenting testimony at legislative hearings.
- Act as a spokesperson for the BlueGreen Alliance in WA.
- Collaborate with allied constituencies, e.g. communities of colors, highly impacted communities, etc., and businesses to advance clean economy growth in collaboration with our partners.
- Work with West Coast and national BGA legislative staff to foster connectivity between WA clean energy and climate work and west coast and national priorities.
- Work with BGA’s communications team and the communication staffs of labor and environmental partners in Washington to develop and implement a WA communications plan.
Skills and Qualifications:
- 5-7 years experience driving legislative and/or or issue-based advocacy campaigns.
- Familiarity and previous experience working with labor unions and the environmental and environmental justice movements is preferred.
- Familiarity with clean energy, climate change, and other related issues preferred.
- Familiarity with the political landscape of WA strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in campaign-related policy development, including analyzing legislation and other policy tools, legislative outreach, and effective messaging.
- A strong foundation in coordinating campaigns that involve multiple partners and stakeholders, including labor unions, environmental organizations and supportive businesses.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work with partners and colleagues in multiple locations.
- Ability to juggle multiple issues and campaigns.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and strong orientation to building collaborative structures.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including experience speaking before groups.
- An ability to travel to Olympia as needed, with occasional travel throughout the state.
- A deep commitment to the mission of the BlueGreen Alliance.
Additional Info: This is a one year grant funded effort with the possibility of extension. Salary commensurate with experience; generous benefits package that includes 100 percent medical and dental, 401k with company match, generous vacation and holidays, and a friendly work environment.
How to Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample and three references by Nov. 30 to Jennifer Bakkom-Gatzke: [email protected]. Please write “WA POLICY”. Position open until filled.