New Student Information


Find out about our assignment process, our policies, living in a campus community, and how to manage roommate problems effectively.

  • How are new students assigned roommates and to rooms?

    All new and transfer students are asked to complete a housing application.  Based on your responses to the housing application, we assign you with an individual(s) who appears to share interests, preferences, and have living habits similar to yours.  It is important that the student fill out the housing application with as much information as possible, honestly answering each question.  Once the housing application is received in the Residence Life office, the date it is received is noted.  Preference for building placement is considered by the date in which the application is received.

    Your roommate(s) will play an important part in your life on campus. New students are encouraged to contact roommate(s) for next year as soon as you receive your housing assignment email. Communication is the key to a successful roommate relationship. 

  • How many students live in a room?

    The number of roommates you have depends upon the hall in which you live. For first-year students, we offer double rooms in Ylviasker and Brandt, triple rooms in Brandt and Olson and a few quads in Brandt; no single rooms are available for first year students.

    Luther offers a variety of independent living opportunities for upper class students in townhouses, apartments, suites, clusters and in residential houses around the campus.  Upper class students can choose from doubles in Miller, Dieseth, Larsen, the east side of Olson, Farwell, the Sustainability House, and Norby Global House.  Triple rooms are available in Larsen, the Sustainability House, and Norby Global House.  College Apartments offer triple-occupancy units with no kitchen. Single rooms are available for upper class students in Farwell, Larsen, and Norby Global House.

    For seniors, Baker Village has single and double rooms; the Prairie Houses have single, double and triple rooms.

    Single rooms in Farwell and Larsen are drawn based on seniority, and are only available to seniors and students with housing accommodations approved through the Disability Services Office.

  • What happens if I don't get along with my roommate?

    Most roommate matches work out well. Some do not. Students who wish to move to different rooms should talk with their roommates first to openly, honestly, and directly deal with any issues.  RAs  are available  to help you and your roommate(s) work out your differences. Typically, roommate conflicts arise as a result of communication problems, and the RAs will help facilitate open dialog. This process may take awhile; developing open communication does not always occur quickly. Residents living in the first-year halls will be asked to complete a roommate contract at the beginning of the year to initiate those open lines of communication.

    After students have made a good faith effort toward resolving the conflicts, room switches may be available. These moves may also involve a wait depending on the availability of housing or the individual's particular preferences for their new roommate(s). No room changes will occur before October 1 of every academic year.

  • What should I do if I have a roommate request?

    If a student wishes to live with someone specific, both persons must request each other on their housing application or notify the Residence Life office.   Roommate requests must be received by the end of June.

  • My current roommate is leaving, what do I have to do?

    When there is a vacancy in a room, an email is sent to the room resident(s) reminding them that the vacancy in their room is available to all students at any time during the year and refusing to have a new roommate is not an option.  Students with a room vacancy must be prepared to receive a new roommate upon notice from the Residence Life office.  Every effort is made to make roommate matches based on mutual interests.

    If the spring semester enrollment allows, students with an anticipated vacancy in double rooms in upper class halls will be notified of a buy-out program.  This program allows students in double rooms  to "buy-out" the vacant space in their room.  The Residence Life office will have final say on which rooms and how many rooms on campus will be eligible for the room buy-out program each year.  This program is not available in first-year halls.

Not Reviewed