Paid Time Off
Luther College strives to be an employer that promotes a healthy work-life balance. Accordingly, we offer a variety of leave programs, including paid holidays, generous paid time off (PTO), limited disability leave (LDL), parental leave, family leave, military caregiver leave, and others. Please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or x1134 with questions about any of these programs.
Luther College observes the following holidays and paid closures:
Good Friday – Friday, April 7, 2023
Memorial Day Holiday – Monday, May 29, 2023
Juneteenth Holiday – Monday, June 19, 2023
Independence Day – Holiday Tuesday, July 4, 2023
Thanksgiving Closure – Wednesday, November 22, 2023 (campus closes at 3:00pm)
Thanksgiving Holiday – Thursday, November 23, 2023
Thanksgiving Holiday – Friday, November 24, 2023
Winter Closure – Friday, December 22, 2023
Christmas Holiday – Monday, December 25, 2023
Christmas Holiday – Tuesday, December 26, 2023
Winter Closure – Wednesday, December 27, 2023
Winter Closure – Thursday, December 28, 2023
New Year’s Holiday – Friday, December 29, 2023
New Year’s Holiday – Monday, January 1, 2024
Good Friday – Friday, March 29, 2024
Memorial Day – Monday, May 27, 2024
The College will celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. the week of January 15.
Eligible staff earn paid time off for each pay period based on their length of service. PTO is intended to be flexible; employees can use it for sick time, personal time, vacation, etc.
New full-time employees accrue six weeks (240 hours) of PTO each year. Employees with an FTE of more than .50 but less than 1.00 will earn a pro-rated amount of PTO based on their FTE. The maximum amount of PTO that may be carried is 360 hours.
For more details, please view the full Paid Time Off (PTO) Policy on the Policies Page or contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or x1134.
Eligible faculty and staff unable to work due to a health condition may be eligible for limited disability leave at 70% of their regular rate of pay.
Eligible employees are entitled to paid parental leave.
For more information, please see the Faculty Handbook or the Staff Handbook.
The federal Family and Medical Leave Act provides unpaid, job-protected leave for employees. Eligible employees are entitled to:
- Twelve workweeks of leave in a rolling 12-month period for:
- the birth of a child and to care for the newborn child within one year of birth;
- the placement with the employee of a child for adoption or foster care and to care for the newly placed child within one year of placement;
- to care for the employee’s spouse, child, or parent who has a serious health condition;
- a serious health condition that makes the employee unable to perform the essential functions of his or her job;
- any qualifying exigency arising out of the fact that the employee’s spouse, son, daughter, or parent is a covered military member on “covered active duty;” or
- Twenty-six workweeks of leave during a rolling 12-month period to care for a covered servicemember with a serious injury or illness if the eligible employee is the servicemember’s spouse, son, daughter, parent, or next of kin (military caregiver leave).
Although FMLA leave is unpaid, it may run concurrently with other Luther College leave programs (such as PTO, limited disability leave, parental leave, etc.) that would provide pay.