Direct Entry Program
High achieving high school students have the opportunity as first year students to be directly admitted into the Luther College Nursing major. For the direct entry program, the Department of Nursing will admit up to 10 students for the fall semester each year.
Direct Entry admission is competitive and meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission.
- Minimum 27 composite on ACT or SAT CR & M combined score of 1220
- Minimum GPA of 3.8
- Minimum science reasoning score of 25 on the ACT or a minimum 570 Mathematics score on the SAT
- No deficiencies in the minimum high school course requirements of
- Four years of English
- Three years of mathematics
- Three years of social science
- Two years of natural science (including one year of laboratory science)
Deadline & Notification
To be considered for Direct Entry your completed application must be received in the Admissions Office by January 2.
Notification of acceptance of Direct Entry into the nursing major will be mailed on
February 1. Qualified students not offered one of the 10 direct entry positions will be
placed on a wait list by the Admissions Office. Should space become available, offers will be offered to wait listed students.
Students admitted to the nursing major through the Direct Entry Nursing option must:
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.75 for courses taken at Luther
- Receive a minimum grade of C in all required courses for the major
- Repetition of course required for the major no more than once
- Repetition of a total of no more than two courses required for the major
Decisions affecting the continued progression in the major after admission to it are
made at the end of each semester. Students must continue to meet all admission
requirements. Additionally a minimum grade of C is required for all nursing courses as well as satisfactory completion of the clinical components and no nursing courses can be repeated more than once.