• Language and Culture in the Dominican Republic and Cuba

Free day in Havana/Back to the US!


This morning, we got dropped off at an artisan’s market in Vieja Habana (Old Havana) so that we could shop and look around. Once we got dropped off, we had the rest of the day to ourselves to do whatever we wanted. We were given some money for lunch and then we were on our own. We spent some time in the market, getting some shopping done since we hadn’t had much time in Cuba yet to shop. Everyone parted ways and ate lunch in different parts of town.


Today we head back to the United States! We are all ready to be back in America and have access to some different food. We checked out of our hotel rooms at 12 pm and then had some free time until we left at 3:45 pm for the airport. Since we didn’t really have anywhere to go, we hung out in the hotel lobby and got lunch at the hotel across the street.

Our check-in time was 4:30 pm at the José Martí International Airport in Havana. There were hardly any lines, so we got through in about a half hour. Our tickets had a different time on them than what our flight was originally scheduled for, so we thought that we would be leaving an hour early. However, that time was wrong and the plane left at 5:30 pm. It wasn’t our flight, but it was the plane that our flight was going to use. It is only a 40 minute plane ride, so they only send one plane back and forth between Havana and Miami.

Long story short, we had to wait for the plane to come back. We were originally scheduled to leave at 7:10 pm, but we ended up actually leaving at 9 pm. Luckily, it is only a 40 minute flight and we already had a hotel lined up in Miami. We got in a little before 10 pm and made it to our hotel by 11 pm. All of our luggage made it to Miami and we cleared customs without any problems.

We were all so hungry and craving American food so we went to a sports bar at 11:30 pm to get some food. We must have looked crazy because we all got insanely excited about glasses of water and chicken wings and burgers. We ordered a lot of food and it was all gone when we left. It was so nice to have some different food, not just rice and beans. We went back to the hotel after dinner satisfied and full.


We didn’t have to check out of our hotel until 2 pm, so we slept in and then hung out by the pool. We took the opportunity to soak up a little more sun and warm weather before heading back to the frigid Midwest. It was 80 degrees and sunny in Miami on Tuesday morning.

We checked out at 2 pm and made our way to the airport. The line to get through security was ridiculous and moved so slowly. It took us about an hour to get through the line! Once we made it through security, we had several hours of waiting before our flight left. There were no complications and we made it to Minneapolis 10 minutes early, around 10 pm. When we got off the plane, the cold hit us and it was quite a shock. We have been used to tropical weather for the past 3 weeks, so it was quite an adjustment coming back to the cold. We all got our luggage and finally headed home!

Thank you to everyone who has been reading the blog and following our adventures in the Caribbean! It has been so great writing about our travels and being able to share it with everyone back home. While it is sad that our trip has come to an end, we made so many great memories and learned so much about the language and culture of both the Dominican Republic and Cuba.

I am going to try to add a couple of pictures from my camera from each day to the posts, so keep checking the old posts for pictures of our group and our activities.

If you still have questions or comments, don’t hesitate to send me an email at [email protected]. Thanks for reading!