• Language and Culture in the Dominican Republic and Cuba

Back to classes

(This is about our day yesterday)

First we had culture class, which consisted of more presentations about different aspects of Dominican culture. After that class was finished, we had our first Spanish class of the day. It was kind of interesting—we talked about vowel sounds—dipthongs, tripthongs, etc.—and how they work as syllables within words. We ate lunch after two hours of Spanish class. We had food from a restaurant that was boxed up and brought to us, since we didn’t have very much time to eat. It was good—some kind of steak, rice, and a little salad.

Then, because our schedule got rearranged and we needed the extra time on a different day this week, we had another two hours of Spanish class. It was a lot of class for one day and we were all exhausted by the time class was done. We talked about the rules of accentuation (where to put the emphasis on words)—which words need accents and where and how to determine where to put the emphasis.

After our six hours of class were finally over, we headed for the metro (subway) so that we could go to the mall. We reached the subway station and got on. We rode for a while, until we reached the end of the line. Our leaders didn’t know exactly where we were going, so we got off but ended up getting back on so that we could get off at a different point. We had initially gone the wrong way and needed to go back past where we got on. After a little bit of hassle, we finally made it to the right stop. We walked outside, on a bridge over the road, and made it to the mall.

We only had a little over an hour to spend in the mall and we had homework that we had to do while we were there. Professor Tejada (our professor from Luther) gave us a worksheet that had questions about the mall and the supermarket that we needed to complete while we were there. We finished that first, and then wandered around in all the stores. Only a couple people bought things, but it was cool to wander and see what kind of stores they have in their malls here.

When we were done in the mall, we hopped back on the subway and made our way back home for dinner. It was a pretty low-key day, but we needed that after the busy weekend that we had! As always, feel free to contact me at any point with questions or comments at [email protected].