Luther’s VPN, or Virtual Private Network, allows you to access a network share (i.e. H or T Drives) via your web browser. The first time you use this service, you must contact the Technology Help Desk to be authorized.
Note: If you need access to more than just your network shares, the VPN Client may be installed to create a secure tunnel to the Luther network. This enables the workstation to behave as though it were on Luther’s network. Resources that can normally be accessed only while on campus can be accessed through the VPN tunnel. These include network places, printers, or applications. The VPN Client can be installed onto Luther-owned workstations only. See VPN Tunnel Training for more information.
Upon completion of this 1-on-1 training, you will be able to:
1. In your web browser navigate to https://vpnweb.luther.edu/ and log in using your Norse Key. Note that you must enter the fully qualified URL in order to access this page.
2. Click the Add button found on the left side of the page.
3. In the Name box, enter a title for the resource (i.e. “H drive”).
4. For Type choose SMB/CIFS.
5. In the Location field, enter the path to the network share you want to access. For example, to connect to your H Drive enter the following and then click OK. Be sure to remember to add the ending “/” after your user name, as VPN requires it.
6. From this point on when you log into https://vpnweb.luther.edu/ the bookmark for your network share will show up in the Bookmarks section of the web page. If you click on that bookmark, it prompts you to authenticate, and takes you to a web interface where you can manage your files.
1. After clicking on the bookmark, you will be asked to authenticate. Enter your Norse Key here.
2. To download or open files, simply click on the file name in your web browser and select Save. You can now work with the downloaded files on your personal machine.
3. To upload files, use the upload button found above the Date Modified column. Warning: You will not be prompted if you are replacing a file of the same name as one you are uploading. Be careful not to overwrite important data.
4. To create a new folder, use the new folder button found above the Date Modified column and enter a name for the new location. Note that when you are in a subfolder, another folder icon will appear with an arrow on it to permit you to go back up one level.
1. To log out of the network storage drive you have been using, use the log out button beside the upload button.
2. To log out of the VPN session, use the log out button found in the top right corner of the page.
In the top right corner of the VPN window, there is a button with a picture of a question mark on it. This will take you to the VPN online help.