VIA is a VPN tunnel that allows a remote computer to access the Luther College Network just as if it were directly connected to the Luther LAN. VIA stands for Virtual Intranet Access.
The VIA VPN tunnel connection is made using a piece of software known as the Virtual Intranet Access (VIA) client. All communication between the remote computer and the Luther LAN sent over this tunnel is encrypted.
All Luther College Faculty and Staff are allowed to make VIA VPN tunnel connections from their Luther-owned laptop to the Luther College Network. We have no control over the security of personally-owned computers and cannot ensure that they are not infected with trojans or viruses. It is also not appropriate for confidential Luther College data to be saved to personally-owned computers. For these two reasons we do not allow users to make VPN tunnel connections from their personally-owned computers.
The VIA VPN client is installed by request on Luther College faculty and staff computers.
Request Client Installation
1. To request installation of the VIA VPN Client, open your web browser and visit help.luther.edu from your Luther workstation and log in using your Norse Key.
2. Once logged in, choose "Downloads" from the menu on the left side of the screen.
3. Now Choose either "VIA VPN (Windows)" or "VIA VPN (MacOS)" depending on whether you have a MacOS or Windows computer.
4. Ensure that your computer's workstation number is chosen under the "Device to install software on:" section and then click "Request for Approval".
At this point a request for ITS staff to provision access for you as a VIA VPN user has been made. Shortly after this access is provisioned, installation will begin on your computer. It may take 24 to 48 hours to provision access.
Initial Client Setup
1. Start setup by clicking on the VIA VPN icon. If you have trouble finding it, search for "Virtual Intranet Access".
2. At the prompt for “Download VPN Profile”, enter viavpn.luther.edu.
3. Next, log in using your Norse Key username and password (Note: do not include @luther.edu after your username).
Creating a VPN Connection
1. Click on the VIA VPN icon on your Windows taskbar.
2. Click the center button to toggle the VPN.
4. Green means you’re connected.
Once the tunnel session is established, the remote computer can access the Luther College Network just as if it were directly connected to our LAN. You can run any program on your computer in the same fashion you run them from your office.
While you are running the VIA VPN client, you are using the connection to the Internet made through your service provider.
1. When you are finished, first exit all applications that are running through the VPN Tunnel.
2. Right Click on the VIA VPN icon on your Windows taskbar.
3. Click Disconnect.