How to install Sophos Anti-Virus on Mac OS X 10.2 or greater.
Sophos is available through two methods:
These instructions presume you have downloaded Sophos Anti-Virus from the Sophos website.
1. Double-Click the Sophos Anti-Virus.mpkg file.
2. Click Continue > Continue > Continue > Continue > Agree. You will be prompted to select a drive to install on.
3. Click Continue, then Install.
After installation, an item like this should appear in your menu bar:
1. Click on the menu item, and choose Open Sophos Anti-Virus Preferences….
2. Click the lock in the lower left corner to authenticate.
3. From the top menu, choose On-Access Scanning. Make sure Scan inside archives and compressed files and Scan network volumes are unchecked. From the drop down menu, choose Delete infected files.
4. From the top menu, choose AutoUpdate. Check Check for updates every and set it for 1 hour. Choose Company Server from the Update from primary location drop down menu. Type http://sophos.luther.edu/ESOSX in the Address field. Enter your Norse Key in the User Name and Password fields.
In Company web server URL enter http://sophos.luther.edu/ESOSX.
7. Click the Red X in the upper left corner.
Sophos Anti-Virus is now installed and configured.
ITS requires that you change your Norse Key password at least every six months for security reasons. When you do this, you must update your password in Sophos in order to ensure that you continue to be protected from viruses.
After starting up your computer, click on the Sophos Shield icon in your menu bar at the top of the screen, and select Open Sophos Anti-Virus Preferences…. Click on the lock at the lower right corner of the window to enable preference changes. All you have to do is click on the AutoUpdate option and type your new Norse Key password in the Password field. Click on the Red X in the upper left corner. To ensure that the new password works, click on the Shield icon and select Update Now to manually force a Sophos update.