A network printer is a printer that is available to any machine that is on the Luther College network. The first time a network printer is used from a computer, it needs to be added to that computer. After it has been added, it is available for you or anyone else to use from that computer. This article provides instructions for installing a network printer on a computer running Mac OS X.
Upon completion of this 1-on-1 training, you will be able to:
The step-by-step instructions for adding a network printer follow.
1. Log in as a user with Administrator access (usually the computer owner or Help Desk).
2. Open System Preferences, located in the Dock or under the Apple menu, and select Print & Fax.
3. You will be presented with the list of printers the computer is set up to print to. To add a new printer, click the plus sign below this list.
4. Choose the IP option and enter the appropriate information.
NOTE: The queue name of a printer can usually be found on a sticker on the printer’s upper right hand corner. You can also see a list of the queue names of printers that students connect to with their personal computers here
5. Click Add.
6. Exit the Print & Fax utility.
NOTE for LIS: At this point, if you’re on a lab computer, there should be an icon in the dock called Save Current Printers. Click it, and enter the Help Desk password when prompted. Otherwise your changes will not be permanent.
8. When you’re done, choose Log Out from the Apple menu.
Starting this fall, Luther is using the GoPrint print management system to track individual print usage and cut down on waste. When you print to a network printer, you have to log into GoPrint using your Norse Key (log in here), check the box next to the desired print job, and press the Pay and Print button. Details on the GoPrint system can be found in this article.
Searching for “Add a printer” in the Help menu will return related support articles, though you should follow the LIS instructions here exactly when adding a printer.