Please enter a word or phrase in the Search field to quickly get answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about financial aid.
A student would be ineligible to use the FAFSA-IRS Data Retrieval Tool in the following situations:
1. The dependent student's parents are married, but file separate tax returns.
2. It has been less than 2 weeks since the tax returns were electronically filed (allow 8 weeks for paper filing).
3. The independent student is married and files a tax return separate of their spouse.
4. The tax return filing status on the FASFA is marked as "I will file, but I have not completed my tax return".
5. The applicant's marital status has changed since January 1 of the processing year.
6. Either the student or their parents (in the case of a dependent student) has amended their tax return.