Frequently Asked Questions

Re: Charges, Financial Aid, Work Study, and NordiCash

  • Which office can answer questions about finances?

    This depends on the question. The Office for Financial Services, Financial Aid Office, and Student Employment Office work very closely with student finances. Sometimes more than one office may be involved in answering a student's question. In general, questions about aid, grants, and scholarships should be directed to the Financial Aid Office, questions about student accounts and payment plans go to the Office for Financial Services, and inquiries about work study to the Student Employment Office.

  • Where is the office for Financial Services located and what services does it provide for students?

    The Office for Financial Services (OFS) is located on the first floor of Main with a cashier window. Students can make payments on their student account, monthly payment plan, and work credit plan. Personal checks may be cashed. Students can also open NordiCash and student bank accounts at this office. The cashier can answer questions about a student’s statement of account, monthly payment plans, work credit plans, and work-study. The Office for Financial Services charges student accounts based on information provided by other offices.

  • When and to whom are statements of account mailed?

    Effective May 2022, statements are available electronically on Norse Hub for initial billing and subsequent monthly statements.  Paper statements will only be mailed to new students for his/her initial billing of first semester.  Monthly email notifications of balances due will continue to be emailed to you and anyone you have given proxy access to.  For more information on Proxy Access, please visit our Proxy webpage with video instructions.

  • Can my parents access my statement of account?

    A student can grant permission for a parent (or anyone) to use "parent" proxy to view their student’s information via  When a student grants a permission to view the Account Activity, this also allows the parent to have conversations with

    • Financial Services about statements, charges, credits, payments, and past due amounts
    • Financial Aid about awards, application data, disbursements, eligibility and missing documentation  

    For more information, see the Parent Proxy page.

  • Can I access my statement of account on NorseHub?

    Yes. To access your statement, go to, log in using your Norse Key, and select the Student Finance button. Then select Account Activity, then View Statement.The Account Activity Page will have a breakdown of cash receipts, monthly payment plans, and work study payment plans as well as any charges.

  • When are payments due?

    Fall semester’s payment is due August 10.  Spring semester’s payment is due January 10. These dates remain the same from year to year.

    Payment plans are available. Payment plan worksheets are available on the OFS website or may be requested from OFS. Please see the worksheet for more information about the plan.

    Miscellaneous charges are billed as incurred and monthly emails requesting payment of the balance due will be sent.

  • What if my payment arrives late or my financial aid is not posted by the beginning of the semester?

    On the 10th of each month, a $100 late charge will be assessed on student receivables with an outstanding balance, or with pending financial aid.  For more information about the $100 late charge, pending financial aid, and unbilled tuition, room, and board; see the Late Charge page.

  • Can work-study be used to pay my tuition?

    Yes. You need to complete a work study payment plan application. Work study payment plan applications are available on the OFS website or may be requested from OFS.

  • How can I make payments to Luther?

    The Office for Financial Services will accept personal checks, money orders, and wire transfers. The student's name and ID number should be included with the payment. Debit/credit card and e-check payments can only be made using Debit/credit card and e-check payments are not accepted over the phone or at the cashier's window. E-checks are free to you but there is a 2.5% service fee for credit and debit card payments. Cards accepted include MasterCard, Discover, American Express, and Visa. Parents are also able to make some payments if they have been granted Parent Proxy.  For more information see Payment Options.

  • What other charges will I incur during the semester?

    Music lessons are normally charged when tuition is billed. Extra credit hours are normally charged at the time spring tuition is billed. Any changes in registration after that date will be reviewed periodically and charges will be adjusted on the student account. Library fines, health service charges, traffic fines, and other charges will be posted to your student account as they are incurred.

  • What happens to my admission deposit/enrollment deposit?

    The deposit becomes the student deposit. At the end of the school year (May 31), for students who have graduated or are not returning in the fall, the deposit will be applied toward any outstanding balance due.  The unused portion of the deposit will be refunded by check or e-check in June. Go here for more information.

  • What about books?

    The cost of books averages about $520 per semester. New and used books are available through the Luther Book Shop. Returning students also sell many of their used texts. Please see the Book Shop website for more information about the purchase of textbooks, including the textbook reservation process.

  • Is a local checking account necessary?

    It is not necessary, but some students have a local account just for convenience. Most local businesses will accept out-of-town checks with the student’s Luther ID. The Luther Book Shop will cash checks up to $25. The OFS, open to students from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. Monday – Friday, will cash checks up to $150. The OFS will also open a student bank account for students; the account does not accrue interest. An automatic teller machine is located in the Centennial Union. It provides access to American Express, VISA, Discover, Shazam, Decorah Bank & Trust, Mastercard, Maestro, Cirrus, Quest, and Plus.

  • Where is the Financial Aid Office located, and what services does it provide for the students?

    The Financial Aid Office is located on the ground floor of Main. This office completes financial aid awards for incoming and returning students based on federal and state regulations. It also certifies student and parent loan applications and offers financial counseling for students.

  • What about outside scholarships and EPIC?

    Outside scholarships are received from sources outside of Luther. It is a federal requirement that these scholarships be reported to the Financial Aid Office and listed as part of a student's financial assistance. For that reason, students are asked to send all scholarship checks to the Financial Aid Office for processing.

    EPIC—Education Partners In Covenant is a program in which a student's home congregation agrees to give a grant on the student's behalf to Luther College. Luther matches this grant up to $1000 per year. Once an EPIC contribution form is received from the student's congregation, Financial Aid will coordinate the anticipated award and the matching funds along with other assistance the student is receiving. The congregation must send the funds to the Financial Aid Office to receive the match.

  • Where is the Student Employment Office, and what service does it provide for students?

    The Student Employment Office is located on the ground floor of Main. This office coordinates student work assignments and processes student payroll. Students are required to complete and return I-9 and W-4 forms before they qualify for employment, as well as a direct deposit form. Students are also required to return a completed time card to their supervisors on a bi-weekly basis.

  • How do I receive payment for my workstudy earnings?

    Students should complete a direct deposit form authorizing Luther to electronically deposit earnings into their bank account. For students who have a work study payment agreement, funds will be deposited in the bank account after the agreement has been met.

  • What is NordiCash?

    NordiCash is a declining balance account that allows Luther students to use their Luther ID card as a debit card.  By pre-depositing money in this account, students may make “cashless” purchases at several campus locations.  

Last Reviewed: Feb 10th, 2016