Social Security Numbers

A Social Security Number (S.S.#) is issued primarily for U.S. tax purposes. If you will be earning income in the United States, you must also file tax forms and will therefore need a Social Security Number. You will be asked for this number to open a bank account and by your employer for payroll purposes.

You will be issued a Social Security Card free of charge. In most cases, the Center for Intercultural Engagement and Student Success staff will help you apply for a Social Security number during an orientation session. Otherwise, we will help you in the process of applying.

In order to apply for a Social Security number, you must be eligible to work (for F-1 students, this is on-campus work study) and must show a letter from the Luther Employment Office authorizing this work. In addition, you will need to have your passport, Form I-94, I-20, and the Social Security Application form.

For more information about Social Security and protecting your identity through your Social Security number, visit the Social Security Administration web page.