Curricular Practical Training

Curricular Practical Training is temporary authorization for practical training directly related to your program of study (major, not minor). Practical training can include internships (paid or unpaid), paid training programs, employment, or practicums. Your DSO must authorize CPT, according to the regulations applicable to your visa. You can apply for CPT during your academic year or during summer or January terms. CPT may be part time (up to 20 hrs.) or full time (over 20 hrs.), but keep in mind if you exceed 365 days of full time CPT, you are not eligible to apply for OPT. Curricular Practical Training can be accumulated through various short term experiences, so it’s important to keep track of your CPT duration, for this reason.

To be eligible, you must:

  • Be registered full time
  • Have been a full time student for one academic year before beginning CPT
  • Have declared a major and plan to complete your degree at Luther
  • Have been offered a job or internship that is directly related to your major and approved for credit by your major department

The CPT experience must be required or an integral part of your academic program. That must be determined and approved by your academic department before coming to your DSO for approval. You must register for credit for either an internship, independent study, or other course approved by your department. Internship applications should be picked up in Luther’s Career Center. Everyone’s situation will differ. If you are thinking about applying for CPT, contact your DSO for more information.