Connect for Success
An Initiative of the Luther College Diversity Council & Center, fall 2014
Connect for Success is an annual, semester long program that begins with an intensive 3 day series of workshops that orient students to Luther's academic and campus culture. It is open to all first year students and participation is completely voluntary. The program is intended to assist students with building relationships and community with other students, faculty and staff. Participants meet and interact with:
- staff and faculty in a variety of settings
- new international student with whom they will share many activities
- mentors who will guide them throughout the semester
The Peer Mentoring component is designed to assist first year students in the social, personal, and academic acclimation to Luther by pairing them with outstanding sophomore, junior, and senior students who will be their mentors formally through the fall semester and informally beyond this time.
Research and anecdotal reports show that mentoring relationship in college assist students with the challenges associated with the first year college experience. Relationships are best built by matching the students based on their common interests and the mentors’ personal understanding of the adjustment difficulties.
Mentors are also bridge-builders between their mentees and the student service departments across the campus. Mentees will have a friend, a guide, and a ready resource for questions.
What Does Success Look Like?
- Being able to complete you academic program in 8-9 semesters with a GPA of 2.5 or better.
- Experiencing college as contributing to your personal and professional growth.
- Feeling equipped to manage your life and make a difference.
- Earning an income in your major or related field.
- Developing and enhancing your global perspective.
- Attend the 3 day workshops and the other workshops throughout the fall semester.
- Stay in touch with your mentor and make sure to be available at your mutual convenience each week.
- Have a genuine desire to develop a relationship with your mentor, other mentees and mentors.
- Read and sign the following: I have read and agree to all the mentee expectations.
Completed applications should be submitted online. Applications will be available by June 15th. Applicants will be notified of their acceptance by July 14th. Program begins August 27th.