Serious Problems

If your student experiences the following issues or problems in an ongoing way, it is appropriate and important for you to take an active role in getting help for your student:

  • Substantial depression, anxiety or other mental health issues
  • Seriously disordered eating or exercise patterns
  • Self-injury (cutting, burning, etc.)
  • Ongoing abuse of alcohol or other drugs
  • Significant difficulties with anger management; aggressive behavior
  • Isolation, withdrawal and the absence of peer relationships
  • An abusive dating relationship
  • Excessive time online, with negative consequences in multiple areas of the student’s life
  • Intense grief that does not seem to be lessening weeks or months after the loss
  • Significant acute illness or injury
  • Serious academic problems

For serious academic problems, contact the Student Academic Support Center as the first step.

For acute illness or injury, contact the Health Service.

If your student is struggling with marked grief over a loss, you may contact the Counseling Service, the Student Life Office, or the Office of College Ministries.

For all the other difficulties listed, the Counseling Service is probably the best initial point of contact to get help for your student.

See the Helping Others section of the Counseling Service website for more resources regarding many of the serious issues listed above.