Materials may be placed on course reserve at Preus Library for use by enrolled students in particular courses. Reserve check-outs are limited to two hours.
In order to place materials on reserve, faculty members should:
- Evaluate all materials individually to determine whether use of the item constitutes Fair Use. In cases where Fair Use is not appropriate, faculty members are responsible for securing copyright permissions prior to placing materials on reserve.
- Limit the amount of material to be placed on reserve to just the portions required for the course.
- Affirm in their request that any copies to be placed on reserve were legally made under copyright law.
- Ensure that all materials carry and display the original copyright notice included with the material.
Luther LIS staff may scan copyrighted materials for placement on electronic reserve or KATIE provided the faculty member affirms that doing so is either covered under Fair Use provisions or copyright license fees have been paid. In all cases, library scanning will not exceed the guidelines listed below:
- One journal or newspaper article
- One chapter from a book
- An excerpt from a prose work so long as the excerpt does not exceed 10% of the work.
- One chart, graph, diagram, drawing, cartoon, or picture per book or per journal issue