Dear 1984 Classmates:
I want my MTV! But even more than that, your Luther College Class of 1984 reunion committee wants you to come home to Luther for our 35-year reunion, October 4-6, 2019.
Can it be 35 years since we went to Convocation and later that day, walked from the CFL down to the Field House (Regents Center) to graduate? Incredible.
Let’s get together, catch up, and talk about our fun memories. Movie nights at Valders, pledge activities, Paideia “rosy fingered dawn”, Messiah, late night pizza, popcorn, Norwegian Olympics, how beautiful the Luther campus is in the Fall, football and basketball games, track meets, rugby, dances and formals, going to the library to study/socialize or just hanging out in your dorm room talking with friends.
Your 35-year reunion committee is planning a fun and memorable reunion, and speaking of, highlights are below. To see a list of all Homecoming events, check out luther.edu/homecoming/schedule
Friday, October 4th, 2019
· 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Homecoming Registration, Main Lounge, Dahl Centennial Union
· 6:00 p.m. Alumni Dinner and Presentation of the Distinguished Services Awards, Dahl Centennial Union Cafeteria. Cost is $30 per person. There are no new DSA recipients from the Class of 1984 but please feel free to attend and cheer on the other recipients.
· 8:00 p.m. Class of 1984 Reunion Kick-Off party at Pulpit Rock Brewing Company, 207 College Drive. Cash bar. Mabe’s pizza will be provided!
Saturday, October 5th, 2019
· 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Homecoming Registration, Main Lounge, Dahl Centennial Union.
· 10:00 a.m. Class of 1984 Homecoming Parade watching gathering at the Whippy Dip, 121 College Drive
· 1:00 p.m. Football game, Carlson Stadium, Luther vs. Central College. Go NORSE!
· 5:00 p.m. The Athletic Hall of Fame Ceremony, Noble Recital Hall. There are no new Athletic Hall of Fame inductees who will be honored for the Class of 1984.
- Class of 1984 35-year Reunion Reception and Dinner, Steyer Opera House, Hotel Winneshiek, 104 East Water Street
o 6:00 p.m. Reception
o 7:00 p.m. Dinner, $30/person
o Cash Bar
o Dress code is business casual or 1980s Retro
o We will give away door prizes donated by Luther and some of our talented classmates!
o We have also asked President Jenifer K. Ward to stop by sometime that evening to greet our class.
o Reservations may be made online at luther.edu/homecoming [or by returning the enclosed form]
Things you might do before our reunion:
· Return the enclosed reservation form so we will know you are coming to the reunion dinner or sign up on line at luther.edu/homecoming
· Take your yearbooks down off the shelf and put faces with names—even though some of us have changed since those photos!
· Consider a gift to Luther to celebrate our 35-year reunion. To make a gift visit givenow.luther.edu, or return the enclosed pledge card.
· Check out the online Alumni Directory at luther.edu/alumni/directory. If you don’t already have a username and password, to create an account, contact the Luther Technology Help Desk at (563) 387-1000.
· Read digital archives of CHIPS, Pioneer yearbook and Agora at luther.edu/archives/research
· Make hotel or housing reservations. For ideas, please check out luther.edu/decorah/lodging
· If you’re a Facebook member, please join our informal Luther College Class of 1984 Facebook group and share your favorite Luther memories and photos. A special thanks to Chris Carron for creating our FB page.
· Check out our Class of 1984 reunion website page at luther.edu/giving/reunions/1984
· Help create our class video by sending photos of our time at Luther to Megan Buckingham at [email protected] or mail them to Megan Buckingham, Luther College, Loyalty Hall, 700 College Drive, Decorah, IA 52101. If you mail them, we will take good care of them and will send them back right away.
We hope to see you in October!
Soli Deo Gloria!
Luther, Luther, Luther!
1984 Class Agents:
Paul and Sonja (Shatzer) Gibbs
1984 Class Agent
320 Pheasant Avenue
Marion, IA 52302
1984 Class Agent
2005 39th Street
Des Moines, IA 50310
Class of 1984 35-year Reunion Committee – 35 STRONG
Mary Ellen (Palmquist) Anderson
Susan Beyer Lopez
Karen (Lee) Bunde
Cindy (Kolstad) Cooper
Kari (Tollefson) Espinosa
Paul Gibbs – Class Agent
Sonja (Shatzer) Gibbs – Class Agent
Shari (Nelson) Lewison
Michele Minske – Class Agent
Pamela (Carrington) Rotto
Kristi (Tollefson) Wolf
Pat (Haugen) Wright
Jenny (Johnson) Zuppan