Greetings, Classmate of ’68;
Do you remember last year’s spring letter when I alerted you that we were only a year away from our 50-year reunion at Homecoming? Guess what? It’s here! It’s been almost 50 years! Remember when those old people on campus during Homecoming seemed so ancient? Well, now is the time for us all to come together for one more time and for us to be those “ancients.” It’s a time for telling stories, laughing at ourselves, sharing a tear for our losses, reveling in each other’s past, and sharing our Luther experiences with each other and with anyone willing to listen.
In the coming days and weeks, you will each be contacted by someone from our reunion committee. You will be urged to make plans now to attend. You will be reminded of various activities being planned for us for that weekend, and you will be offered advice in finding housing and information that you might need.
In this newsletter, I want to specifically call your attention to a few special items:
· WHEN? Friday, October 26 – Sunday, October 28, 2018
· SUBMIT PERSONAL PHOTOS – From our years at Luther for our reunion slide show - a primary component of our dinner on Saturday evening, so the more photos, the better! Please submit electronic scans/photos to: [email protected] or mail prints to Annette Laitinen, Luther College, 700 College Drive, Decorah, IA 52101. Your originals will be returned to you!
· COMPLETE THE 1968 BIOGRAPHICAL FORM to be included in the keepsake reunion booklet that you can purchase or view online. You may complete the form online at: luther.edu/homecoming/68book/. Please complete this at your earliest convenience.
· SPECIAL EVENTS FOR THE 50-YEAR REUNION CLASS INCLUDE a reception at Shirley Baker Commons on Friday from 2:00-5:00 p.m., including campus van tours. Later that evening, our class will present our reunion gift total at the Alumni Dinner at 6:30 p.m. On Saturday, our class will gather for a group photo at 11:00 a.m., followed by a luncheon in Peace Dining Room. During half-time at the football game, our class will be invited to proudly present the check with our reunion gift total. At 5:30 p.m., our reunion celebration will culminate in Peace Dining Room with a reception, short program, and dinner. A full schedule of events will be sent out from Luther at a later date.
· LODGING (luther.edu/decorah/lodging/)
-Get on waitlists at Decorah hotels (space may open up closer to Homecoming)
-Check nearby towns.
-Contact Luther’s Alumni Office to inquire about private lodging in the homes of Decorah residents. Contact Judy Riha, 563-387-1524 to learn more. Joan and I have had great success with this in the past.
-Checkout vacation rental sites like VRBO, Home Away, and AirBnB.
Wow!!! I can’t wait for our big weekend to get here. I want to thank each of our classmates who have volunteered to be a part of the homecoming reunion committee. They are a great group of friends, and their talents are a huge asset to our efforts. I also want to thank everyone in the Alumni Office for their guidance, encouragement, and support for anything we have needed and asked for from them. THANK YOU, EVERYONE!
And now, I thank you for making your plans to join us in October. I sincerely hope you have a peaceful and rewarding spring and summer and that, as October draws near, you too will share your time and talents with us as we come together to celebrate.
Soli Deo Gloria!
1968 Class Agent