Can I be pretty honest with y'all? Last week was definitely not one of my best...at all. Stressful would be an understatement!
I got terrible grades on not one, but two math quizzes—in a week's time. Also, I didn't do well on a Norwegian quiz we had. I don't take bad grades well. I never have, but especially not in college, and I don't remember ever getting so many in such a short amount of time.
As I've mentioned before, I've struggled with math for about as long as I can remember. Norwegian was one of my best classes last semester, though! I knew that I could've done much better on that quiz. So, I was quite disappointed in myself over that one, especially. We also have our first tests of the semester in both math and Norwegian this week, so I've been studying a ton for those!
*Update—I got an 87 on my math test! That's a B+! YAY! :)
I also stayed up quite too late doing homework and studying for having 8 a.m. classes every day, for most of last week. I don't advise going through an entire week on about 4-6 hours of sleep a night. It's not good.
One of the highlights of the week came on Friday. I got a job offer for the summer, which I accepted! I'll talk more about that during a post near the end of the school year. So, now I have my summer plans all figured out—which is good.
I also got the chance to FaceTime with my friend from back home on Friday, Kaelee! I've kept up with her quite a bit over text lately. We didn't get the chance to hang out when we were all back home for Christmas break though, so I haven't gotten a chance to talk to her face-to-face in a while. It was fun to catch up with her, especially after my difficult week.
Last week was stressful, tiring, and just plain long for me. With that in mind, I thought I'd share some of my favorite ways to take a break and relax once in a while.
So, here are my top five ways that I try to practice self-care—in no particular order!
- Listening to music videos on YouTube: I LOVE Pentatonix and Brooklyn Duo! They both recently came out with awesome new videos, as well! Pentatonix did a cover of "Havana", and Brooklyn Duo did one of HBO's "Westworld" Main Theme.
- Getting the loaded taco combo at Marty's. No explanation needed...I just really enjoy tacos, haha.
- Hanging out with good friends! I've been spending a lot of time with my amazing friend, Anna, lately. We have about half of our classes together, too—so we see each other quite a bit. :)
- I know it's my job and all, but writing this blog makes the list! It doesn't feel like a job! It's a lot of fun thinking of what to write about for you guys every week. :)
- Walking into downtown Decorah! There's so much that Decorah has to offer. I love to walk to the Oneota Co-Op for some fresh produce, or to see a new movie at the theatre, or to window shop at the many places on Water Street! There's also some great trails that you can walk along and get some pretty photos. :)
Here's hoping that all the stress and sleeplessness of last week is behind me! I can only imagine that some of you may have had similar trying times recently! So, I'll close with a quote from Oprah Winfrey.
"Challenges are gifts that force us to search for a new center of gravity. Don't fight them. Just find a new way to stand."