The Center for Rural Affairs is a leading nonprofit organization with a national reputation for progressive rural advocacy and policy work. We are seeking two full-time temporary Policy and Advocacy Organizing Interns to advance our legislative and policy objectives in Iowa.
This is an excellent opportunity to become part of a dynamic team committed to effecting change. The ideal candidate will be a recent college graduate with strong writing and communications skills, organizing experience, and knowledge of agriculture, social justice and clean energy issues. We invite applicants that have a familiarity with and knowledge of the legislative and political processes.
Job Requirements include:
- Develop knowledge of Iowa state and federal policy issues, particularly farm bill organizing
- Engage rural communities in outreach efforts to advance policy objectives
- Identify and build relationships with rural leaders
- Author traditional, social and digital media content
- Represent the organization at meetings, conferences and events
- Complete focused research and analysis
- Provide support to program staff in furtherance of policy objectives
- Curious and excited to learn;
- Disciplined, accountable and consensus builder;
- Quick learner who is detail-oriented and produces high-quality work; and
- In possession of a strong work ethic and a habit of exceeding expectations.
Additionally the right candidate must possess:
- Flexibility (travel throughout Iowa, Nebraska, and the Midwest region will be necessary);
- Understanding of political and legislative process;
- Demonstrated ability to connect with people regardless of political or cultural background; and
- Ability to think outside the box and see issues from different perspectives.
The following are a plus, but not required:
- Academic experience in a field such as political science, environmental science, communications, sociology or public relations.
- Demonstrated fluency with social and digital media; and
- Excellent research and writing skills.
To learn more about the position, visit the Center for Rural Affairs website. To apply, send a cover letter, resume, three professional references and one short writing sample (one to three pages), to [email protected]. Apply by April 28, 2017, for full consideration. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.