Winneshiek Energy District Intern: GIS/Community Lighting Survey
Position Start Date: May 21, 2013
Position End Date: August 30, 2013
Application Due Date: March 1, 2013, Applications reviewed as received
Number of Positions: 1
Pay Rate: $7.25 per hour
There is a growing interest among businesses owners and the City of Decorah to transition into LED lighting options. The cost of the transition (bulbs and in some cases the ballast) is the biggest hurdle that we currently detect. The role of an intern would be to first gather an inventory of parties interested in making the transition to LEDs and the number and style of bulbs required. The intern would then help facilitate the acquisition, delegation and installation (where required) of the LEDs.
On the community level, electricity for street lighting comprises a significant portion of cities annual budget. Interest in experimenting with LED options has been discussed. The major hurdle at the moment is that there is not a clear inventory of which streetlights are owned by the city and which are owned by utility provider: Alliant Energy.
The role of an intern would be to use a GIS background to take inventory of all the street lamps in Decorah, consult with city advisors to clearly distinguish ownership and develop a strategic plan for the transition of more efficient lighting options.
- Background in GIS
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written)
- Strong organizational skills
- Detail oriented
- Good interpersonal skills
- Working 20 hours/week
- Inventory street lamps in Decorah using GIS
- Working with city advisors to develop strategic plan for lighting retrofits
- Assist and coordinate the procurement and delegation of lighting retrofits
To Apply, You Must:
- Submit to the Office of Human Resources, Main 25, by March 1, 2013.
- Complete the online common application on the Luther College sustainability web site
Direct all inquiries to: